Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can LEDs be used as fuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muashr

Hi,

I have a question regarding the sub section of a power supply.

Background: I have two similar power supplies one is functioning whereas the other one is not functioning. The functioning one can output variable dc voltage from +(0 - 20)V. The nonfunctioning power supply can only deliver -4V at the output.

The sub circuit about which I have a question is at the output. Both supplies have similar sub circuit. This sub circuit consists of a transistor the base/gate of that transistor is connected in series with a red LED, this red LED is connected to a 1.5k SMD resistor and other end of this 1.5k is connected to a source point of +27V.

Both LEDs were tested in their corresponding sub circuits when the power was off and they appeared to be ok (Vf = +1.7V). Now the problem is that when the power is on the base/gate of the malfunctioning transistor gets only +0.1V whereas the base/gate of the functioning transistor gets +25V. Also the red LED of the malfunctioning power supply is on whereas that of the functioning remains off.

The voltage measured (with respect to ground) on the path/trace which joins LED and 1.5k SMD resistor is as follows.

Functioning Supply: +27v
Malfunctioning Supply: +2.2V

On measuring the voltage drop across these red LEDs following results are obtained.

Functioning Supply: -4V (red lead @ anode & black @ cathode) & +2.3V (black lead @ anode & red lead @ cathode)
Malfunctioning Supply: +2.1V (red lead @ anode & black @ cathode) & -2.1V (black lead @ anode & red lead @ cathode)

My question is whether or not LEDs are also used as some kind of fuses? If not, then what is your opinion about this situation?

Instead of trying to describe the circuit using words, just post the schematic.

No, LEDS are not (or should not) be used as fuses.

JimB

Crazy logic...whoever designed this/these PSU's in mind surely would not be that stupid???

I have never heard of an LED being used as a fuse :wideyed:

Suppose it is possible...but why???. I think you have other issues....somehow whatever is driving the working PSU LEDS...has failed...and the faulty one has survived.....somehow.

A little bit of a mind " xxxxxxx" for me :(

Strange.

Regards,
tvtech

just for future reference, I zapped a string of 3 red leds, before I knew what I did, I was wondering why they didn't glow and the amp reading when through the roof.....they became a dead short......:arghh: So I would not use leds as a fuse or other safety disconnect.

LEDS can fail open or closed. They are there for just indicators.

But, they are wired with a series resistor across fuses sometimes to act as a "blown fuse indicator". Neon lamps were too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back