Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use this Optocoupler circuit instead of LM2931 regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

I can't find low droup out regulator on TO-92 package. Only found high droup out regulators in TO-220 case. Can i use a general optocoupler and a general transistor (Or TL431) as a BC....used here? What might be the efficiency? I need 5 V from 6 or 9 or 12V source.

Attachments

• Use_an_optocoupler_to_make_a_simple_low_dropout_regulator.jpg
    Use_an_optocoupler_to_make_a_simple_low_dropout_regulator.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 187
Almost EVERY semiconductor manufacturer makes a 5V low-dropout voltage regulator in a TO-92 case. I used a National Semi LM2931A-5.0 in my FM transmitter only because I had a bag full of them. National Semi also makes a few more.

A 3.3V zener diode is a poor voltage regulator and an LED is also a poor voltage regulator. Their voltage drops when they get warm and when their current drops.
A 6.8V zener diode is a good voltage regulator if the input voltage does not drop too low (it is not low-dropout).

The circuit you found uses the transistor as an on-off switch with nothing limiting the current in the zener diode and LED.

Almost EVERY semiconductor manufacturer makes a 5V low-dropout voltage regulator in a TO-92 case. I used a National Semi LM2931A-5.0 in my FM transmitter only because I had a bag full of them.

But may be my life will be end with searching equivalent (replacement) of each and each components :D . A component which is not used on general TVs and radios, that is impossible to get here! :(
I said before I have been searching a heatsink of TO-39 from 2 yrs, even can't find! Planning to make myself by melting aluminium in fixed shape! So being mechanical engineer leaving electronics engineer :D

But may be my life will be end with searching equivalent (replacement) of each and each components :D . A component which is not used on general TVs and radios, that is impossible to get here! :(
Here, everything is easily available.

I said before I have been searching a heatsink of TO-39 from 2 yrs, even can't find! Planning to make myself by melting aluminium in fixed shape! So being mechanical engineer leaving electronics engineer :D
A TO-39 case is obsolete but here there are heatsinks available for a 2N2219 transistor. Use a transistor that is newer and is still made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back