Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can I use single supply for TL074 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

Hi,

I'm using TL074 as an input audio mixer, 3 of the Amps it contains act as inputs and the third used to sum all of them in one output.

The problem is the supply has to be DUAL, which limits the portability of the mixer.

What is the consequences if I used single supply ?

Thanks for all

It doesn't have to be dual at all, hardly any opamp circuits do - it's trivial to run them off a single supply, particularly for AC uses like this.

Audioguru has posted a graphic showing the four possible configurations many times!.

The minimum recommended supply voltage for a TL07x opamp is 7V so a 9V battery must be brand new.
Here is how an opamp with a dusl supply can be connected with a single supply:

Attachments

• opamps-2.gif
    opamps-2.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 8,738
Nigel Goodwin said:
It doesn't have to be dual at all, hardly any opamp circuits do - it's trivial to run them off a single supply, particularly for AC uses like this.

Audioguru has posted a graphic showing the four possible configurations many times!.
I just saw your sticky. A couple of hours ago, I almost pointed out that if Audioguru ever loses that graphic, we're all screwed. You have saved us from that potential horrible fate!

Hi,

Thanks a lot, I tried to make this configuration, but found it in another part of my circuit (reverb). It was there to supply TL072, so I will connect my 074 negative supply terminal to the same point. But I want to ask, is it save to load both 074 and 072 with the values in the attached configuration ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Opamp.GIF
    Opamp.GIF
    6.7 KB · Views: 4,589
The negative supply pin for the opamp you show is connected to ground.
The two 12k resistors bias the reference input of the opamp at 6V.

What will be the case if i used 9V battery ? for portability

Nigel Goodwin said:
The centre point, unsurprisingly, will be 4.5V instead of 6V.
will that will be enough to operate the chip ? or do i have to supply more and lose the portability advantage ?

As you're talking a 9V battery, I would suggest just using two of them to give +/-9V would be the simpler solution.

Bear in mind the lower the supply voltage the less headroom you have!.

The minimum recommended total supply voltage for the TL072 and TL074 is 7V. A 9V battery voltage quickly drops to 7V then drops slower to 6V when it is considered to be dead. It would be better to use two 9V batteries to give plus and minus 6V to 9V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back