Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use silicon to stabilize components

Status
Not open for further replies.

adown

Hi Everyone, can I use silicon to stabilize components on my board. The board is going on my motorcycle will endure heavy vibration. The silicon would be running up all 3 legs of a transistor to the body. Same with the capacitors and regulator. I don't think it will cause a short between legs, I just wanted to make sure. I planned on using normal grade clear silicon. Thanks, adown

Last edited:
Silicon might work; although, I don't know how you would apply it. ;) Silicone is probably better for this application. Also, consider hot glue. Easy to apply and sets in seconds.

John

Last edited:
No problem I can think of since you're not including the body of the likely to heat components.

Not sure that that will be enough to protect against severe vibration, though. Can't hurt. Guess you'll find out.

Yes, you're right. I better use silicone. lol. I am only going up to the bottom of the body. It is a street bike, so it wont be extreme vibration, but more than on a car. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't short the component legs together. Thanks, adown

Silicone, like the Hardware store GE Bathtub RTV is not suitable for electronic components. It releases Acetic Acid when it sets up, which turns copper green. They make special Silicone Potting compounds which are inert, but you are not likely to buy them at ACE Hardware...

The Red RTV Gasket maker Silicone you buy at the Auto Parts Store is much better suited for electronics...

Last edited:
Silicone, like the Hardware store GE Bathtub RTV is not suitable for electronic components. It releases Acetic Acid when it sets up, which turns copper green.
That's not likely to be an issue for most circuitry though is it? It's only superficial oxidation.

Silicone doesn't seem to have any effect on solder or even veroboard (may have a coating). I potted up some circuitry in silicone maybe 2 years ago and it's still running fine.

You can buy NON-acetic cure silicone, sold for bathroom and window use where it likely gets used on metals. It's not very corrosive at all and doesn't release those nasty acidic fumes typical of most hardware store silicones.

Car body-filler would do the job if you wanted a more rigid support for the components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back