Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use picstart plus as an icsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmadsci

Can i use the picstart plus as an in circuit programmer. Anotherwords i want to run a 5 pin header to my 16f684 chip and program it using only 5 of the pins?

vdd pin 1
vss pin 14
vpp pin 4
data pin 13
clock pin 12

I built the cable to 5 inches.
It verifys ok, but i get programming errors. i checked mclr and it has 13 volts.

Hmm, I recall someone else doing it. **broken link removed**
4655-p1030859vo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for the link. i read it and his problem was related to the 5 volt line.
I read 4.25 volts on my circuit witch should be ok. My 16f684 is connected to a couple of very small components and maybe one of them is drawing too much current.
I will retry tomorrow.

Check Microchip forum

Check the posts from mfb (Mario Brezowsky) in the Microchip forum

He explained somehow that it could be used for ICSP.

Minimum a year ago.

Why is 8 inches the maximum length. It seems to be a simple interface. Also on my target board I have an additional 20 ma draw. Could one of these things be my problem?

Well the PICStart+ is a slow programmer so maybe cable length is not as important but keeping it under 8" will mean it's not the problem. It really boils down to the PS+ was never designed as an ICP, and since an ICD can be had for under $50 why not just get one? You could even hand wire one that would run circles around your PICStart+

One last question please. Do i have to unplug my circuit from the picstart when i am running my pic chip? Anotherwords can i program and then run the circuit without disconnecting the icsp cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back