Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I trickle charge a NiMH (4xAA @ 2300 mAh) with 1ma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can, but we're looking at a charge that is comparable with the self discharge rate. I would not expect more than a quarter charge in the cells no matter how long they were charged at this rate. I think maybe 10 mA would be about right.
To select a series resistor, you have to consider the DIFFERENCE between the charging voltage and the battery voltage, and the voltage drop across the diode. I fear your example would give no measurable current!

Analog is not my strong point, I would assume as the voltage drops on the battery below 5v the small trickle current would simply keep them topped off. The sleep current is only a few na, I can omit the diode if the scheme proves useless.

I recall the iButton Lock had a quick charge mode if the battery was dead. You would hook a 6v battery across the ibutton reader for a few seconds.

**broken link removed**

Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back