Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I test a Microphone with a multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have an Xbox360 headset and I think the mic is gone bad. Is there a way to test it with a DMM? It's a unit just like **broken link removed**

Is it resistance that changes or voltage? If voltage then there needs to be some bias voltage right?

The mic doesn't work?
If nobody jammed a pen through the mic then the cord has a broken wire.

Okay then riddle me this please

This xbox headset consists of a single speaker as the headphone and a microphone. This is fed through a 4-conductor wire; Red= spk+, Blue= spk-, white= mic+, clear= mic-
From there it goes to a pcb board which has volume control and mute (speaker and mic respectively).
Out of that pcb it goes to a stereo 1/8" mini plug with only 3 wires.

Ultimately I want to bypass the pcb all together and connect straight to the mini plug.
Is the speaker and mic supposed to share the ground?

I guess my runaround is, I'm not sure if the mute button (or related circuitry on the pcb) is causing the mic to not work or if it's the mic itself.

How do plan on amplifying the tiny signal from the mic (which the meter can't even measure) to drive the stereo speakers?
There's a chance the grounds are common between the mic and speaker jack, but without a diagram, no one really knows for sure. You could check with an ohmeter, maybe then your chances will improve.

It's most likley an electret mike, so you can't test it with a multimeter.

Using an analog multimeter in the highest Ohm-range you can test an electret mike. Connect the mike and hammer it on the table.

Resistance indication will jump like crazy if the mike works.

You do not test a mic by destroying it.
Some people hit it or blow into it. Other people test it by talking into it.
Which way do you think is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back