Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I replace this Li-Ion battery? *pictures included*

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbrite

Hey guys, thanks for the help in advance!

It's the battery for the "World of Warcraft Wireless Headset"... (see pictures)

I'd like to replace it with a "bigger" battery that has more capacity. I have a few questions:

1. Is the charging circuitry included with every Li-Ion Battery? On the picture you can see that the battery has a tiny circuit board attached to it?
2. I know how to solder stuff, just don't know that much about electronics... Is there anything special I need to keep in mind when shopping for a bigger replacement battery and soldering it in subsequently?
3. Right now it takes about 3 Hours to charge and runs up to 12 hours on the charge... I'd like it to run 24-48 hours at least... Will the charging time change? Or is it even possible to just use a battery with more mAh like I'm planning to?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

not sure how big that battery is but if you have a look at the battery in a PS3 control pad, they are 3.7V and the standard battery is 850mah. You can buy a replacement battery on ebay that is 3.7v @ 1800mah.

Im not sure if they have there own charger built in.

dimensions of the battery is

package dimension:180*110*45mm
package weight:62g

I don't care about the size, if it won't fit I'll just tape it to the side... ;-D

I saw a few mobile batteries with 1800 mAh... Capacity-wise they would be real nice... But they have 3 contacts and I only saw 2 wires leading to the battery... My guess is that mobile-batteries have charging electronics built in.

But can I be sure that it works IF it has a charger built in? You connect the headset via USB to charge the battery... since I'm a complete noob I have no idea if that will just work if I buy a battery with correct voltage and inbuilt charger...

Are you sure about those dimentions?!?!!? That's almost the size of a brick... Like 18cmx11cmx4.5cm.... Seems kinda big...

Last edited:
if the charger is in the battery itself, then you wont have a problem, you just plug in your usb and the charger takes care of it. those are the sizes in the spec. you will find these batteries on ebay. just type in PS3 BATTERY.

you will be able to have a look at a few then and see if they have there chargers built into them

those look suspiciously like the battery that's already in there... if the 1800mAh claim is true than I'll get 2.5 times the runtime out of those... It would be like 24 hours+, more than enough... Also they also only have 2 cables, leads me to believe that they use a similar charging circuit like my battery needs...

Well, they are like 8 Euros, so I'll give it a shot... I'll let you know how it goes.

And thanks a lot! You've been very helpful!

Lastly: Suppose I wanted to install TWO of those rather than one, could that work? How would I wire that? Sequentially? Or Parallel? I remember hearing something about that in school... ;-D I guess it must be parallel?

Last edited:
how long can you possible play WOW in one sitting? more than 12 hours? :confused:

just put it on charge every time you take it off and aren't using it; or at least that's all I would do

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint, but I don't play WOW... I've had the headset for a year, so the batteries are starting to get a bit flat... And if you connect the wireless mic it's even worse...

@iamsuperbleeder: That way you won't ever learn anything... I like to expand my skillset... But to each their own, ey? - I guess I see it kinda like LEGO for adults...

Last edited:
A Lithium battery will set your house or car on fire if it is charged or discharged wrong.
You don't even know where is its charging circuit!

Since you don't know anything about the battery or its charger then do not change anything.

A Lithium battery will set your house or car on fire if it is charged or discharged wrong.
You don't even know where is its charging circuit!

Since you don't know anything about the battery or its charger then do not change anything.

1. I know it's got the same specifications as the first battery, except for mAh...
2. I know it's charged via the power from the USB-port, like the other battery is...
3. I know it's got inbuilt charging circuitry like the other battery...
4. I know it charged exactly like the old battery in terms of times, heat emission and all other characteristics...
5. I know the headphones work exactly as they used to...

Works for me...

I did have the same problem and replaced the battery with this from Ebay with 50% more capacity https://www.ebay.com/itm/171260143191?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
as it only have 2 cables its easy tho replace. At least it looks like it has the same kind of "board". Note that the battery is not on the side where you charge your wow headset! Be careful with the thin cables going to the speakers.
It worked for me but no grantee it will for you. Good luck if you try it.
RogerG

The battery photo in the first post shows on the original battery, "To be charged with the original charger only" so it DOES NOT have a charger circuit in it. The charger circuit is in the headphones it powers.
Then you can use any Li-Po battery with the same 3.7V of one cell and the same or more mAh rating.

Some cheap Li-Po batteries are very poor quality or are fake. People say to buy 10 of them, keep the two good ones and throw away the remainder.

Lithium-Ion / Lithium Polymer battery packs often contain a circuit board which is usually one of three types:
A) protection only; prevents cells from over-discharging by disconnecting the output when cell voltage falls to a specific level.
B) cell-balancing; ensures that all cells in a multi-cell pack charge to the same level each time the pack is charged.
C) combination of A and B; provides over-discharge protection as well as cell balancing.

There may also be boards which provide over-charging protection, but that is usually the responsibility of the charger.

Since this battery is 3.7 volts it should be single-cell; therefore, the circuit board is likely only for over-discharge protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back