Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I have tips in soldering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerranski

I'm currently working for my 'Eiffel Tower' made up of solid wire #14, but, I can't solder it properly. Any tips?

U can read this:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/transitioning-to-lead-free-soldering.115168/

And, #14 is heavy wire, I presume copper or galvanized iron wire?

Basically u clean the wire and the irontip. You will need a 60+ watt iron with a thick spade tip to deliver the heat to #14 copper wire, a 40 watt would do for galvanised iron. U can apply rosin flux to the cleaned #14 wire to help with the soldering.

If u don't have a powerful enough soldering iron.....heat the model in an oven up to 450 deg F for Pb free solder or 350F for Pb/Sn solder. Take the model out and quickly attempt to solder the joints b4 it cools.

Use resistance soldering such as this: **broken link removed** I don't like their tips. I've made my own with stainless welding filler rod You might need a more powerfull tweezer than the light duty, though.

You pass a current through your wires thus heating them up. You avoid oxidation, because you energize the current with a foot switch when you have intimate contact. Solder won't stick to the tips.

Last edited:
@Mosaic: I'm using 60W soldering iron, what I'm actually doing is, heating up the solid wire first then put the lead in it. but, it doesn't work somehow.

@mosaic: I'm using 60w soldering iron, what i'm actually doing is, heating up the solid wire first then put the lead in it. But, it doesn't work somehow.

are you using a good solder "flux"?

Well, 60W might be too low. What kind of solder are you using? How are you holding the wire? A small torch might be better.

When soldering, heat the wire. Apply solder to the wire.

Never apply solder to the iron except just when tinning the iron initially to make good thermal contact. Have a wet sponge handy to clean the tip and re-tin once and a while.

My thinking is that using a 60 watt soldering pencil should be more than adequate. Several years ago I worked with soldering AWG 12 to power resistors with large lugs and 40 watts was more than adequate. I did dozens of those joints, not a problem with 40 watts using 60/40 rosin core solder.

I assume copper wire. Make sure your wire is absolutely clean. This is where some scotch brite or other mild abrasive comes in handy. Following a good cleaning a wipe with isopropanol alcohol can't hurt either. Cleanliness is of paramount importance.

Ron

You might als0 get slightly better results if you take a small round file and notch one of the wires.

Using lead free or even plumbing solder will give you stronger connections. If you use the plumbing solder make sure you use flux.

Plating the wires could also help because as your soldering, the wires will oxidize and make it difficult to solder nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back