Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can I connect power like this with no problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

Ive attached a pic of a circuit board I just made and had an idea. I could apply this to several projects but 1 or 2 already have a 5vdc voltage regulator incorperated.

My question is that this board was designed to use 12vdc (yellow attempt of a square on the pic :) )into the 7805 to provide 5vdc out. I added a few spare 5vdc connections (blue arrow). Could I simply supply 5vdc directly to (blue arrow) the board if I attach it to a project that already has 5vdc coming out?.....that would eliminate an additional Vdc hookup. OOoOOR is it possible to have a 7805 on one project power the 7805 on this project? That would be the easiest way and I don't see why it wouldn't work but you guys are the experts.

Thanks!

Attachments

• RF pic.JPG
    RF pic.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 153
Hi,
You can do this, provided that the current drawn by both the circuits is not too much for the 7805. Also, besides the +ve, you need the common ground as well.

Thanks alot...I didnt see a reason for it not to work but its always good having second opinions ;) Thanks again

You're just powering two devices in parallel circuit when you do it this way. I have a progress report thread over on the microprocessor board that shows four circuits all powered from one power supply.

What's the maximum current required?

It'll be fine without a heatsink, providing the current is below about 100mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back