Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can humans regrow fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another hoax. That claim would be world news overnight, yet not a peep nor literature citation since 2005!

Some animals can regenerate limbs. One notable example is the salamander. You can even take the nerve from an extremity, implant it under the skin, and get a 5th leg to grow.

Great advances are being made, however, with human regeneration. But, we are not there yet for solid organs, mush less appendages.

John

I chopped the end of my finger off and it regrew. So did Nigel.

See this thread.

I'm still curious as to whether my fingerprint is still the same.

Mike.

Well, we can grow a full trachea out side the body using the bodies cells and then place it into the patient. That's a start. It's been done a few times now. The skeleton that it's made on dissolves or is absorbed by the body.

Obviously, I was not talking about skin and connective tissue , that I why I referred to solid organs. The photo with a bandaid at the first joint implied something more than just soft pad at the tip. If you cut off your finger at the first joint or even just halfway through the nail, it will not regenerate, but it will heal.

John

Hi,

I always thought it would be great if humans could regrow teeth. That is, more than two sets. It is probably a gene that shuts off, a so called 'switcher' gene, so someday this is probably going to be possible. Sharks do it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back