Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can cd 4017 be used for adjustable timer circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaarrr

hi
I m trying to make an adjustable timer circuit using 555 timer. Can cd4017 be used to adjust the time? I m told so, but what actually does an cd4017 do?

The 4017 is a decade counter divider. Each incoming clock pulse (when pins 13 and 15 are low) sequentially increments the 1 of 10 output pins high. What exactly are you trying to do?

Ron

I m trying to couple this circuit to a star-delta starter. So that the star to delta transition time can be made adjustable. Now my lecturer (who i think is a little confused) tells me to use a cd4017 to make the timer 'adjustable'...... N i dont know **** about this cd4017. Can it work? If not then how to make 555 timer adjustable?

You can use a 4017 as a "programmable" delay by clocking it at a fixed frequency, and then selecting a "delay" by taking an output off the decoded output bits. With a single 4017, you could get a delay of 1 to 9 clock periods. If you cascade two 4017s, a two-input AND or NAND gate would give you a settable delay of 1 to 99 clocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back