Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone shed light on these parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

Just wondered if anyone knows what these parts are (not the 555, I put that in for scale).

Two of them are from an old amp I salvaged, and I think one may be a resistor capacitor unit, but the words on it confuse me, one may be a diode?

The three legged part though is baffling me entirely, the bit of text shown on it is all there is, I would have said it looked like a choke, but I didn't think chokes came with 3 legs?

Anyway thanks for looking and any ideas would be appreciated.

Al :)

Attachments

• MVC-473F.JPG
    MVC-473F.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 166
  • MVC-474F.JPG
    MVC-474F.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 144
  • MVC-475F.JPG
    MVC-475F.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 168
  • MVC-476F.JPG
    MVC-476F.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 148
hi Al,
It would help if you could put your ohm-meter across them and say what resistance values [if any] you get.:)

A couple look like inductors:confused:

bigal_scorpio said:
Hi to all,

Just wondered if anyone knows what these parts are (not the 555, I put that in for scale).

Two of them are from an old amp I salvaged, and I think one may be a resistor capacitor unit, but the words on it confuse me, one may be a diode?

The three legged part though is baffling me entirely, the bit of text shown on it is all there is, I would have said it looked like a choke, but I didn't think chokes came with 3 legs?

Anyway thanks for looking and any ideas would be appreciated.

Al :)

Photo 2 from left power resistor of 0.047ohms
photo 3 A sort of limiter ( perhaps made of silinium) used to clip the speech in communication chaneels of 35 years back ( thanks for showing it again.)

photo 4 A tapped inductor on a ferrite drum type core

Last edited:
Doh! should have thought of that!

ericgibbs said:
hi Al,
It would help if you could put your ohm-meter across them and say what resistance values [if any] you get.:)

A couple look like inductors:confused:

Hi Eric, point taken,:eek:

The pill shaped onehas diode like readings, 850ohms one way and 0 other,

Flat ones read about .8ohm but seem to take time getting there, same if reversed. Iwondered if they are some kind of combined R/C component? I have seen such things in diagrams for the output stages of amps, but never seen a real one.

The 3 legger has across the 3 pairs respectively, 5.2ohm, 150ohm and 146ohm, and same if reversed.

The pill ones I was fairly sure were diodes but wondered if the text on them meant anything, they were from the beefy part of the amp and I thought they may be useful powerful diodes, but not knowing the values of things always bugs me and prevents me from using them without constantly wondering if they are about to fail.

Hope you are enjoying your sunday as much as I am (brief respite from the dreaded decorating today!) yippeee

Regards...........Al

hi,

>>The pill shaped onehas diode like readings, 850ohms one way and 0 other,

Do you mean '0:eek:hm: ' or infinity?
Is that a dab of red paint on one of its leads?

The 3 leg component could be a tapped inductor

Hi Eric,

Yes, I should have said infinity mate, sorry.

Regards.............Al

bigal_scorpio said:
Hi Eric,

Yes, I should have said infinity mate, sorry.

Regards.............Al

hi Al,
Its testing as a diode, the forward resistance is close to a silicon value, but Sarma could be right??
I cannot guess what the specification may be?

The power resistor is 0.47R if I am reading the print correctly.

This is one of the problems with bits that are recycled, unless you can get a component match on the type number, its not wise to use them in a project.

Hows the timer project going?

Evening Eric,

The timer is not going at all as expected, it won't seem to do what the datasheet says, or maybe I'm getting thicker! hehehe

Regards.......Al

bigal_scorpio said:
Evening Eric,

The timer is not going at all as expected, it won't seem to do what the datasheet says, or maybe I'm getting thicker! hehehe

Regards.......Al
hi Al,
If you want to send me one to 'play with' [ product evaluation for the purists] send me a PM.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back