Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone please tell me what this is??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheese

I am fairly new to the electronic component world. I have been slowly learning what they all are but I have found one that I am not sure what it is. It looks like a resistor but it doesnt have a gold or silver band to tell its tolerance. I have attached a picture to let you see what it is. Sorry if the pics quality isnt the best. The component is broken on the one side and has 5 bands. green blue green white white. If anyone can tell me what it is, it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20110127184658.jpg
    20110127184658.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 234
Bet it's a 0.56 1/2 watt carbon composition resistor, IF those two "white" bands are actually silver.

How to Read Resistor Color Code

You should be able to check the component with an ohmmeter. If your from the states, try to ask a radio shack employee to measure it for you. At such a low value and, it will nearly read shorted. It doesn't look overheated, so it could be good except for the lead.

That is a resistor the physical size is 1/2 watt. The color bands are codes that tell you how to read it. Green is 5, Blue is 6. 1 or 2 white color bands tell you where the decimal point belongs. NO silver NO gold band replaced by 2 white color bands tells you it is a fractional value. If I remember correctly 1 white band it would be 5.6 ohms and 2 white bands it is .56 ohms. The other green band is 5 that = 5% tolorance. This type resistor does not follow the standard color code rules. I have not seen or thought about this type resistor in 40 years.

Last edited:
That's a 0.5 w resistor from the early 60's to 70's .We used to use them in valve or tube diagrams

Sweet thanks for the input. So if I get a replacement for this resistor, what would I replace it with?

Use your DMM and set it to the ohm scale and take a reading of the resistor. Now you buy a resistor of the readout you get from the DMM and decide on the tolerance you need (1,2 or 5 %)

You should be able to solder to the short pigtail & continue using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back