Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can anyone help me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The service manual for My Sony TV was being sold on many websites. I found it posted by somebody for free and I am glad.
The sites that charge for it are ripoff joints.

Even with a schematic modern car stereos are pretty much not designed to be serviced. Aside from a blown fuse they're usually chock full of custom ICs and such. That's why there are warranties.

PS I had a salesman try to sell me an extended warranty on a AA NiMH battery.
**broken link removed**

audioguru said:
The service manual for My Sony TV was being sold on many websites. I found it posted by somebody for free and I am glad.
The sites that charge for it are ripoff joints.

Well in fairness I certainly can't claim to not have any downloaded manuals, and I was quite happy to find the ones I did.

I always kinda had the impression that the manual sites were a ripoff--I mean, how can those sites charge access fees for items which cost them nothing (literally) to duplicate and for which they don't own the copyright? I always just assumed they had some kind of license, but on reflection I guess that does seem unlikely.

Torben

Torben said:
Well in fairness I certainly can't claim to not have any downloaded manuals, and I was quite happy to find the ones I did.

I always kinda had the impression that the manual sites were a ripoff--I mean, how can those sites charge access fees for items which cost them nothing (literally) to duplicate and for which they don't own the copyright? I always just assumed they had some kind of license, but on reflection I guess that does seem unlikely.

No, they are just crooks selling something they have no rights to!.

If they couldn't charge, would they exist?

Are you certain that they didn't purchase reproduction rights?

I collected vintage 70s solid-state audio equipment for several years, usually nice units by Marnatz, Kenwood, Sansui, etc found at thrift stores and sometime E-bay bargains. This era produced some very high quality and reliable equipment, although the hobby has grown such that bargains are not as easy to find of the higher end of their model lineups.

Many times repairs and adjustments can be done with out the service manuals but other times it was almost a requirement.

So I searched the web and E-bay for both original and reproductions of these manuals and was glad to be able to find them when I could. I did have a rule not to spend more the $15 and mostly stayed with that rule.

I perfectly understand the concerns about copyright on reproduced manuals but the orginal manufactures mostly no longer can supply these manuals and I would be very suprized if they ever persued a vendor dealing with reproductions.

I seem to recall Yamaha having a web site and had many (but not all) of their vintage hi-fi manuals avalible for free downloading, that showed a lot of class on their part.

Lefty

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
PS I had a salesman try to sell me an extended warranty on a AA NiMH battery.
Sounds like you were in RadioShack err The Source. :rolleyes:
I seem to recall Yamaha having a web site and had many (but not all) of their vintage hi-fi manuals avalible for free downloading, that showed a lot of class on their part.
HP/Aligent is really good for that. Fluke isn't bad either except most of their new manuals don't have schematics anymore.

mneary said:

I myself don't know that for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other. At any rate, the charges are usually what I would consider quite reasonable--if they are legitimate resellers (the sites I've seen seem to average around USD $10-$15). Luckily I haven't needed any manuals which I couldn't find for free badly enough to need to pay for them. :)

There is one site which seems to have quite a different intent than the rest, though--I found this yesterday so I haven't really researched it or anything. The general idea is that the fellow will email you the manuals after you've proven that you've donated to the Association for Human Rights International, a charity providing legal aid to victims of dictatorial regimes. The site is at https://www.user-service-manuals.com/ for anyone who is interested.

Torben

On the topic of service manuals, on the occasions when I have been completely stumped and needed one. The first place I check is here:
https://www.eserviceinfo.com/
They are free, but you are limited to 500 per month or something like that...
If they're not there, eBay, and if all else fails ringing the service department of the manufacturer.
The manufactures I have found are generally not that forthcoming with service manuals - I believe it may have something to do with not having a registered business...

mneary said:

Pretty well, most manufacturers don't even allow the manuals to be sold outside their service network, so there's no way they would give the rights to a third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back