Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone help me build a flux capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician13134

I've been saving up my money with my heart set on getting a DeLorean, and no Delorean would be complete without the flux capacitor... I've seen them for sale:
https://www.bttf.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=21007
but being an electronics hobbyist, I'd MUCH rather make one... I should be able to find a case alright, but I'm just concerned about the streaking lights in the middle... What on earth would I use for that? I've been considering 3 rows of LEDs, but the blue LEDs I have are too blueish... I want it to be whiter. Also, what would be the best way to power that? I don't think the DeLorean has a cigarette lighter/charger plug thingy... Any help at all is appreciated.

(Oh and I've already got the Mr. Fusion to give it the 1.21 Gigawatts of power! Hee hee ;) )

Really? I'm not great at this stuff, but I'd wager that I could build one for under $50. I can pick up clear lexan for for $3 a sheet, an aluminum case should be $5 at a thrift store or similar, and the components should be:
(1) AVR (atmega168 or similar) - $6
(24) LEDs - $4
Various perfboard or a homemade PCB - $1 - $3
Some form of power - $3
Wire - Free

Am I overlooking anything blatantly obvious?

Oh, and I was kidding about having a Mr. Fusion, but it turns out, models are available, but really expensive:
**broken link removed**
$600, yuck!

EDIT
Your post is gone! Ha ha... I must've gone back in time to post this...

Oh, hah. I thought this was a joke post until I realized you were talking about replicas, not an ACTUAL flux capacitor and Mr. Coffee.

Have you looked into glow wire?

Oh, ha! I thought that would be implied, sorry about that!

Yeah, I've seen glow wire, but the only problem is that it doesn't move, I'd really like scrolling lights...

I think I could pull it off, with an atmega168 and 3 strings of 7 LEDs, I wouldn't even need to Charlie-plex and I could have two pins left over for other I/O or whatever if I needed...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone would have an advice, maybe about cutting out the window with rounded corners? How hard would that be? What tool should I use?

I looked again, turns out the original is yellow/orange, not blue like the model I saw... so that solves one issue. Thanks

magician13134 said:
Anyway, just wondering if anyone would have an advice, maybe about cutting out the window with rounded corners? How hard would that be? What tool should I use?

What tools do you have available? I'd suggest drawing the design on graph paper first, then transfer that to the sheet metal. Then use a jigsaw or tin shears to rough out the shape after using a drill to start the holes, then a rotary tool like a Dremel to finish it. I'd like to try using a nibbler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibbler ) but I don't have one yet.

That's just what I'd do using what I have around, which doesn't help you. ;) What tools do *you* have? That's largely going to decide how you do it. :)

Torben

[Edit: You're actually getting a real DeLorean? Sweet!]

Not yet, it's slow going, but before I graduate highschool, I plan to (my junior year is ending now, this summer and next year are going to packed with jobs...)

I have all those tools except the nibbler... So I can try that once I get a box.

magician13134 said:
Oh, ha! I thought that would be implied, sorry about that!

Yeah, I've seen glow wire, but the only problem is that it doesn't move, I'd really like scrolling lights...

I

hi,
You could use 1 or 3, LM3914 bar driver ic's to drive the LED's in the bars.
Just drive the analog input with a ramp voltage, lots of options.!

BeeBop said:
Sorry for off topic, but Lee's Electronics on Main St. ~12bux if I remember. :)

They work well!

Dang! I spent hours in there before we moved over to the island last fall. Ah well, I'm sure I can find one over here too.

Thanks for the tip!

Torben

you can get this blue bendy led wire at wal mart for like $20 for 10 feet. all you need do is cut it up and re rig it. i'm not sure where to get the 1.21 gigawatt psu though :D

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll let you know how it goes, maybe take some pictures along the way.

Oh, and slightly off topic, but my tags expire in two weeks so I ordered a vanity plate this time, reading "121 GIGA" heh, lame I know, but everything good was taken... :(

Again, slightly off topic, but I thought you guys might like to see this:
**broken link removed**

I was bored today

Oh, and did manage to get an old fusebox that's perfect for my flux capacitor, but it was fairly pricey, $20... Oh well, I'll still keep my $50 budget I bet. I've seen them on eBay, in bulk as low and $2.50 a piece, so I know I could've done better, but I'm impatient.

There's no price guarantee as I don't have to money yet, and I'll probably be using eBay Motors, but I saw a GREAT condition one on there that I would've LOVED to get, at $18,000. Not cheap, but not bad. So that's the price I'm using from now on when I figure my spendings... Then there's issues once I get it, manual transmission >.<, higher insurance, no airbags, but who cares? It's a DeLorean! Awesomenesses.

By the way, that car is pretty darn cool

magician13134 said:
There's no price guarantee as I don't have to money yet, and I'll probably be using eBay Motors, but I saw a GREAT condition one on there that I would've LOVED to get, at $18,000. Not cheap, but not bad. So that's the price I'm using from now on when I figure my spendings... Then there's issues once I get it, manual transmission >.<, higher insurance, no airbags, but who cares? It's a DeLorean! Awesomenesses.

By the way, that car is pretty darn cool

Why would you want a sports car with an auto tranny? If you don't drive stick yet you'll get the hang of it in no time. Only place I like an automatic is in rush-hour traffic and school zones.

Now that I've put that out there, we can start on:

o Mac vs. PC
o PIC vs. AVR (wait, there's already a thread for that. . .)
o emacs vs. vi
o Python vs. Ruby
o MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

:)

Seriously though, I would have thought a DeLorean would set you back more than $18K. Surprisingly the DeLorean Motor Corp. is still around and selling used ones (starting at around $29K) and will even build you a new one if you have the cash. Gotta love eBay.

Torben

I don't want an automatic, but I don't drive manual yet. I tried and failed miserably once... so, we'll see.
PC... except they suck, I just can't bring myself to switch to a Mac
AVR. Hands down
?
They both suck
MySQL

:)

magician13134 said:
I don't want an automatic, but I don't drive manual yet. I tried and failed miserably once... so, we'll see.

You'll get it. Just practice in something a little cheaper than a DeLorean first. :)

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back