Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can an SCR be used as a high speed switch like a Mosfet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

How does an SCR compared to a Mosfet?

I need a 100KHz switch.
41v3mAYO8OL._SX425_.jpg

images

SCRs are not fast. 100khz
Mosfet can be turned on or off at any time.
SCR can be turned on at any time but the turn off can only happen at 0V or reverse voltage.

What are you trying to switch?

I use an SCR in a capacitor-discharge welder for battery tabs. I works fine.

John

Hi,

SCR's turn on and dont turn off until the main current drops to near zero.
MOSFET's can be turned on OR off at will with the gate voltage.

SCR's used as switches in certain products can be made to turn off at regular intervals with commutating circuits containing inductance, but it's more complicated than using MOSFET's or IGBT's.

SCRs are not fast. 100khz
Mosfet can be turned on or off at any time.
SCR can be turned on at any time but the turn off can only happen at 0V or reverse voltage.

Will a signal generator do that? When signal is + SCR turns ON. When signal is - SCR turns OFF. Is it that simple, sine wave from signal generator will turn SCR ON/OFF at what every frequency is selected?

What are IGBT's ?

Last edited:
IGBT's are interesting. I think IGBT will work much better than a Mosfet for an induction heater. Now I need a part number so I can buy some IGBT's to experement with.

Can I take an existing Mosfet circuit and replace the Mosfet with an IGBT ?

For most applications, yes.
But please read the app notes on the International Rectifier web page, they have a lot of useful information on properly driving an IGBT

From what I've been reading this morning; it's all about how fast you switch them and either single or half bridge circuits. All about heat; providing a good cooling is the key. Improper driving could cause them to short.

About as much as I learned.

Here is some good notes on the subject of circuits and applications. It discusses both Mosfets and IGBT's.
https://www.ixys.com/Documents/AppNotes/IXAN0010.pdf

Circuit examples follow the application notes.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back