Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can a program memory be written on the fly-PIC 10f206?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh17g

I am using pic 10f206 microcontroller.
My intention is to store some variables into program memory and change them during run time depending upon some conditions.
And finally, since those variables are stored in flash, when I power up the microcontroller again, I should get the updated values.

You would be able to except for one small problem. The 10f206 doesn't have writable flash memory or EEPROM.

Mike.

Other parts can do this, just not the 10F.
EEPROM can store variables just fine, each byte can be written individually and the write endurance is very high. However, most parts have a very limited number of EEPROM bytes. On any part which has self-programming, you can write the program space. It's got a more limited write endurance however, and MUST be block-written; an entire block must be erased and written at once. If you only need to change one variable, you'll need to copy all the values in that block to RAM, erase it, and write all values back. This is kinda risky since a power glitch or whatever could cause the block write to fail and corrupt all the values in that block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back