Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can a MOSFET driver drive an LED ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apchar

I want to pump a 2 amp 40 nsec pulse through an IR LED (Vishay TSHF5210) every 10msec or so. I have to keep the driver cheap & simple because I'm cheap & simple. I hope I can find something in an SOIC package since I can't see anything smaller.

I was going to use a MOSFET driven with a MOSFET driver but I notice that MOSFET drivers contain MOSFETS so why bother with the MOSFET that would be driven by the MOSFET driver if I can drive the LED directly with the MOSFET driver.

There are a few MOSFET driver chips that can handle the current and speed that are relatively cheap (< $2). I know it's not the usual application but is there any reason a MOSFET driver can't drive an LED?

Thanks

If it meets you current and speed requirements, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back