Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can a ferric chloride+water mixture be heated in microwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyghost

:oops: i guess this is a stupid question, but will there still be "sparks"?

the ferric chloride is already dissolved...

theoretical answers are highly appreciated... i don't wanna hear my mom shouting at me because i ruined our microwave... :roll:

That's good safe thinking! So, I don't consider it a stupid question.

The Ferric chloride will heat just fine in your Microwave, provided that the container isn't metallic. I do it all of the time :D Although, if the solution is brought to a boil, you're in deep trouble with your Mom. Warm soup temperature works good for me.

I suppose you can go all out, and resort to the Ferric Chloride data sheet, or possibly MSDS to find the "optimum" temperature.

One point, I'd leave the door open for a few hours to allow any fumes/vapor to escape before you go popping your vegetable soup in the microwave. :wink:

If you or your Mom is still leary about heating in the microwave, you can fill the sink with hot water, and place your container in the water to warm the solution. Be advised that the solution will etch a stainless sink and leave ugly spots, so rinse any accidents (Spills, splashes) off immediately.

Good luck!

It's probably a good idea to keep the kitchen and appliances separate from potentially harmful substances. It's easy to forget something or drip something without noticing.

You might find that setting your ferric chloride container in a pan or dish of hot water will do the trick. Do that outside of the kitchen. It might take a few minutes but limits the potential for contamination. Certainly transporting the hot water could be a problem but maybe the hot water from the faucet is sufficient. Put the ferric chloride in a zip lock bag then dip it in.

microwave is not a good idea from saftey point even if it works.. also microwave would limit u using bigger PCB's...i would say rather use an electric oven or seat ur tray into a bigger tray filled with watter.. put an adjustable immerseable water heat in the bigger tray and maintain ur water temprature....

I went to Wal-Mart and got a 700W halogen floodlight for like $20-$30. Point it at your solution and it will heat it constantly. Monitor the temp and adjust the distance until the temp is stable where you want it.

Wear sunglasses. Also a respirator rated for "acid gas" will make it a pleasant experience.

The problem with microwaving, other than the noxious fumes, is that it will soon cool down again.

Yup.. I do it all the time. My PCB's are normally etched before it looses too much temp. But now have changed to the clear crystal stuff, doing it in ice cream tubs.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back