Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a 14 Pin PIC be Cut to 8 Pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember something maybe on another forum, but some geyser used a shaping machine to shave the lid off a pic to get to the fuses with a uv source so that he could re-blow the code protection and read/copy the device.

Why would a geyser be interested in doing that? My understanding of decapping (https://hackaday.com/2010/07/16/decapping-integrated-circuits-with-sap/) is that it is usually done by younger folks too lazy to do their own work.

It is theft. I have a hard time understanding its attraction to honest people.

John

Perhaps to put a Finer point (since the earlier escaped attention). By the time you illegally download & decode the software, you'd have written your own version TWICE.

Honesty isn't just a policy, it's also the easiest version to control... <<<)))

P.S. the problem (again) with chip trimming isn't cutting & having it work today. It's sealing so it works in a year or 2...

The application I was thinking about was software to decode car radios, the actual object code of the radio on certain models is uploaded into the radio, so its not something you'd want to write yourself, decapping and other fiddling in this case might be worth the effort, well let me re-phrase that, certain individuals would be prepared to invest time and effort in means to copy the firmware, certainly not something I'm into.
Theres also those that want to say look what I can do.
I found the subject interesting as there have been times in the past where I have wanted to protect my intellectual property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back