Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Campervan conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefanblum

I wish to buy a van and convert it to a campervan and know that the alternator is responsible for giving electrical charge to the van.
How would you modify the electrics including alternator to provide as much power in watts for such things as the hot water,refrigeration, microwave and all electrics. What is the peak output in watts that could be generated from a modified electrical system and is it true that 1 horsepower equals 492 watts.

I wish to buy a van and convert it to a campervan and know that the alternator is responsible for giving electrical charge to the van.
How would you modify the electrics including alternator to provide as much power in watts for such things as the hot water,refrigeration, microwave and all electrics. What is the peak output in watts that could be generated from a modified electrical system and is it true that 1 horsepower equals 492 watts.

Dodge has 120 Amp alternators for V-8's which generates 1.7kW which at 745.7W/Hp is 2.28 Hp.
Check your options.

A standard automotive alternator is good for somewhere between 35 to 60A @14.4V, so produces between 500 and 860W, which @ 746W/hp is between 0.67 and 1.15hp.

I would be adding a second heavy-duty alternator, which feeds an auxiliary battery bank (leaving the starting battery/oem alternator alone). The topic of batteries is being discussed in this contemporary forum thread.

If there is room in the engine compartment, a second stronger alternator connected to a battery isolator is best. Ideally, consultation with a van conversion shop will tell you how much overall energy you will need to power your add-ons.

Please post plans and pictures when you start to get the project up. I've only ever thought about doing this, but never got around to doing the research. It'll be interesting to see just how much kit you can squeeze into the back of the van. Side note and hope that this is helpful - but good plans will help you gauge how much power you need then you can work backwards from there. Good luck!

It'll be interesting to see just how much kit you can squeeze into the back of the van

I've got a link somewhere to a free CAD package specifically tailored to van layouts ..... I can dig it out and post the link if anyone is interested.

Also , a brilliant design ( not mine ) for a very energy efficient fridge , made from a small chest freezer with a custom-built external controller ....
.... ideal for long-term van travel away from mains supply .
Some of the best commercial units cost up to a grand !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back