Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

camera timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shypan

Hello all,
I need to set a a camera to automatically go off every 30 minutes. I've been searching the internet for a while and I'm having difficulty finding exactly what I need. This forum seems the right place to look however as I have found some similair but slightly different threads here.
Okay so I have an old digital camera, operates on 6V. Its inside and I have power availible to keep it on. What can I do to make it take a picture every 30 minutes while I'm at home sleeping.
Keeping the solution under 30 dollars would be preferable.

Time Laps Photography ...........

shypan said:
Hello all,
I need to set a a camera to automatically go off every 30 minutes. I've been searching the internet for a while and I'm having difficulty finding exactly what I need. This forum seems the right place to look however as I have found some similair but slightly different threads here.
Okay so I have an old digital camera, operates on 6V. Its inside and I have power availible to keep it on. What can I do to make it take a picture every 30 minutes while I'm at home sleeping.
Keeping the solution under 30 dollars would be preferable.

If your camera is wired (has a socket) for a remote trigger there should be no problems. Just a PIC and a few parts, to get a plug to fit the socket might be the biggest problem.
If it uses IR it will proably be a little more difficult.
What is the make and model of the camera you are planning to use?

Bill, really nice project, first time I have seen a solenoid operated remote trigger. Can you wake up the camera via the usb port? I don't know anything about that aspect. After thinking about my first reply, I got to wondering how to turn the camera back ON after 30 min's. Seems like all DC shuts OFF after a few minutes of idle.

It wasn't my project but I posted the link, now on the other hand I recall using the USB port on my Canon ELPH with USB software for time lapse photography.
Note the photo shows DC power being used so perhaps the camera will stay on. My old Olympus E10 has a built in time lapse mode.

I've pulled out a cheap little Polaroid PDC5070. This is for work, so I don't have to watch a column of sludge settle, all day.
Oh and the camera with the solonoid is pretty cool, I'll have a look at that.

The solonoid is pretty cool ........

shypan said:
I've pulled out a cheap little Polaroid PDC5070. This is for work, so I don't have to watch a column of sludge settle, all day.

This looks simple until you consider:
Most all DC has an Auto Shutoff that has only a max. period of maybe 5 minutes. To work around this you must either take a picture or focus the camera for it to stay alive for another period.
So if you wish to take a picture every 30 minutes, you have to press to focus (using the above 5 min. sample) at least 5 times to keep the camera ON. That means the camera has to be connected to an external power supply and the solenoid actuating power pulse has to be able to make the Focus pressure correctly, and not activate the Record function. The alternative is to take a (out of focus) picture every time the solenoid is actuated. And only when the time is correct must it Focus for a few seconds and then Record.
So you see all this is not as easy as the first appear.

Edit:
The alternative is to buy a used camera with a Interval recording mode.
I know the Minolta Dimage 5 & 7 works great, I have the 7.
They have been out of production for some time but still sell at a premium.
(around $150 on Ebay)

Edit 2:
Some cameras with IR remote can use this:
https://www.dellaenterprises.com/

Edit 3:
If you can live with the limited resolution of a web cam, then the software is available:
"For PCs, Webcam Timershot – part of Microsoft’s PowerToys package of free add-on software – does much the same as Gawker (minus the split-screen ability and having the option to record your desktop): specify an interval, and Webcam Timershot will take pictures from your web-cam and save them to a location you choose."
Note that there are now one meg webcams available for about $100.

Last edited:
shypan said:
If it's just to monitor something then wouldn't a webcam be better?

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back