Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

call a function with arguments by Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

zas

Hello,
is there a way to call a function, sub or something else with arguments by Reference?

Recurrently i have the Problem that i want to read some values from EEPROM to RAM. The Way that I do byte by byte in a Bytearray. The following program uses the values as a Longarray. I can not find a possibility to call a function and pass the value as a Reference of my Bytearray. I need the Long values for my sort algorithm.

Maybe there is as other way to read EPROM Values directly to a LongArray with oshonsoft or pass a value as RAM address of the Variable. Then I can use the implemented Pointer()
My current way is to check the asm code and take from it the ram address of the variables, not nice.

Problem with Oshonsoft for PIC

Maybe I have a next Problem. The Elements of the Array are randomly distributed in the RAM. I hope that is an Option in Oshonsoft. The example Code is below.
Pointers are the solution. But I cant find a way to get the start Adress of the Longarray in the Ram

Dim brakepoint As Byte
Dim terminator As Byte 'END of Values
Dim amount_alarm As Byte 'Number of Timers
Dim arr(10) As Long 'Takes The Values from EEPORM
'Eeprom-Values
'0 Byte = Number of Timers
'1 Byte Hour, Timer 1
'2 Byte Minute, Timer 1
'3 Byte Weekday Low nibble, Timer 1
'4 Byte Relais Output, Timer 1
'... , Timer xyz
'Terminator 0x3b

Const pos_amount_alarm = 0 'Position of "Number of Timers"
amount_alarm = 0 'Number of Timers init value = 0

'The Values in the EEPROM
EEPROM eepromvalue, 0x05, 0x08, 0x00, 0x01, 0x0f, 0x10, 0x00, 0x02, 0xf0, 0x11, 0x00, 0x03, 0x01, 0x20, 0x00, 0x04, 0x02, 0x22, 0x22, 0x05, 0x05, 0x3b
Read pos_amount_alarm, amount_alarm
Call get_value_from_eprom(amount_alarm, arr) 'Get EEPROM value

Function get_value_from_eprom(number_of_timer as Byte, arr_ref As reference) As Byte ' The Second Argument should be the RAM Address of my Array but i don’t know how
'Function fill the LongArray with the EEPROM Values
'need Reference of the arr
Dim pos As Byte 'current pos in EPPROM
Dim temp As Byte 'The EEPORM Value
brakepoint = 1
arr_ref = arr_ref + 1 ' Byte 0 = Number of Timers
For pos = arr_ref To number_of_timer Step 1
Read pos, temp
Pointer(arr_ref) = temp 'When I have the SRAM Adrress fill the Longarry
arr_ref = arr_ref + 1
Next pos
End Function

If you need to manipulate ram in this manner, it's always best to group the items..

Its very easy to implement a function that will write / read a long in the onboard eeprom..
The other thing that needs mentioning is that function don't need to pass anything.. You can do as much with the Proc statement and using global variables..

Oshonsoft allows direct placement of variables... So if you store several items in EEPROM that need to be transferred to RAM.. A byte pointer can do the trick... If all your variables are stored in EEPROM in the exact order you have them in ram, then a simple byte read which covers all the bytes, words and longs can be used..

Instead of reading a long,word or byte in a function... Just read the whole lot.. Reading is very quick

If your ram is like this

Dim brakepoint As Byte
Dim terminator As Byte 'END of Values
Dim amount_alarm As Byte 'Number of Timers
Dim arr(10) As Long 'Takes The Values from EEPORM

You could use the pointer as a byte set the pointer to breakpoint then just increment the pointer by 1 until all 43 have been read..

Reactions: zas
Thank you for your reply Ian,
I try it. Im not sure I understand is 100%. But I think the Oshonsoft allows direct placement only for variables. But not for Arrays. I get a compiler error.
So I Think when there is no possibility for direct placement of an Array your solution is not practicable.

The compiler should know!!! As the pointer is to a byte it won't care... It will just run through all the variables as though they were bytes... There will be 43 consecutive bytes... I know it works because I do it the same way..

In either case using this global technique you can do it in the function you already made...

BTW you know you can place variables exactly where you want them!!! You don't even need a pointer.

Dim brakepoint As Byte @ 0x05
Dim terminator As Byte @ 0x06 'END of Values
Dim amount_alarm As Byte @ 0x07 'Number of Timers
Dim arr(10) As Long @ 0x08 'Takes The Values from EEPORM

Now you know exactly where the are...

Reactions: zas
I understand the way you describe. I try to compile the declaration as you describe. The compiler throw an error see below

Dim brakepoint As Byte @ 0x05
Dim terminator As Byte @ 0x06 'END of Values
Dim amount_alarm As Byte @ 0x07 'Number of Timers
Dim arr(10) As Long @ 0xAA 'Takes The Values from EEPORM –-> error in line 4 “incorrect variable name”

When I try
Dim arr As Long @ 0xaa its OK.

Okay... But if you leave out the 0xAA it will still be located at ox08

Why have you chosen 0xAA??? I would try to keep arrays low down in a page.. This doesn't break page boundaries, but if you forget, it causes heartache...

I'm not familiar with Oshonsoft, but is arr a reserved name associated with arrays within the syntax? Or is the compiler expecting square brackets arr[10] rather than braces?

I have been pondering this... As arr(10) is global you don't need to do anything

Write two routines... One to read the array and one to write the array and call them separately..
I quickly wrote this...

Code:
Dim x As Byte
Dim y As Byte

Dim arr(10) As Long

loop:
   Call readarray()
   Goto loop
End   
Proc readarray()
   Dim x As Byte
   Dim y As Byte

For x = 0 To 9
     arr(x) = readlong(x * 4)     
   Next x
End Proc   

Function readlong(x As Byte) As Long
   Read x, readlong.LB
   x = x + 1
   Read x, readlong.HB
   x = x + 1
   Read x, readlong.3B
   x = x + 1
   Read x, readlong.4B

End Function

Hello alec_t, Ian
alec_t: "arr" is not reserved. The Syntax for declaration in Oshonsoft is with circle brackets

Ian: I choose 0xAA without cause. Oshonsoft (PIC IDE) reserved at my current controller the RAM from 0x00 to 0x36.But your explanation about the page boundaries is interesting. I don not think about it. Good statement!

Hello Ian,
the Solution looks encouraging I will try it.When ist work it solves all Problems.:)

Hello Ian,
Good job. It works fine.
I must retire my statement in the last posts. The arrays are continuous in the RAM. I was confuse yesterday.
Thank you.
I have send a Bug Report to Oshonsoft. Why I cant set the placement of the array directly in the RAM like variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back