Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculator LCD screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoid

I took apart a broken calculator. It had a circuit printed on paper that the buttons pressed on that went to I guess a LCD controller that went to the LCD screen.

Is there any way to control the screen myself? Either by the cable that went from the controller or the places where the paper circuit attached to the controller?

Like by touching it with a wire connected to a battery or something.

An LCD requires square-wave signals in a specified sequence to operate. For that you need to know which connection goes to which LCD segment. Don't know how you would determine that.

Yes there is a common backplane and individual segment connections, the phase of the backplane and segment are aligned for segment off, and out of phase for segment on, the freq and voltage depends on the display.
There are ic's designed for this purpose.
Probably not a good project for a noob, 7 segment led's will be much simpler.

Yes there is a common backplane and individual segment connections, the phase of the backplane and segment are aligned for segment off, and out of phase for segment on, the freq and voltage depends on the display.
There are ic's designed for this purpose.

I'll just get something made for hobby stuff if I ever need one, I just wondered if I could do something with this.

Probably not a good project for a noob, 7 segment led's will be much simpler.

Who said I was a noob? :p
I might look at 7 segment LED's then. *hint hint*

If you want something to play with then get one on ebay for not many dollars. See **broken link removed**.

Mike.

Oops, I made an assumption you were a noob from what you said, I take it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back