Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cable TV test

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is related to cable TV measuring instrument.

What is sweep signal, What does it chech.

Is it same as freqency domain spectrum.
( Or simply a spectum analyser).
But it is two different function on the measuring instrument spetrum and sweep.

Can Someone explain to me.

Many thanks

A sweep signal helps you to trace the circuit frequency response (the transfer function), with the wobbulator.

Last edited:
Perhaps if you both filled your profiles in with your location, we would know where you are?. Then we could assume you're using non-English words?, rather than making them up?.

oh, come on Nigel, you've never used a Wobulator? LOL. Poor mans ( or creative mans, depending how you look at it ) spectrum analyzer, using the sweep function of a RF generator, along with the corresponding ramp signal. You end up with an RF envelope display, all connected to your 'scope. Wobulators did this on their own and were mostly used to tune IF sections, back in the day.

But I digress, and of course you are likely refering to the use of Wobulator by non english speakers when refering to a standard oscilloscope.

Attachments

• wobulator.jpg
    wobulator.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 155
Getting myself back on thread, the sweep test is, as far as I recall from nearly 20 years ago last time I had anything to do with CATV professionally, sweeping was done to see where the system was attenuating the signal spectrum. It showed a RF level for the channel spectrum in dB, so you could determine if the range of channels was at a level likely to be recieved with signal level that would provide a decent picture.

Basically an expensive level meter with an RF front end.

I think the non-English speaking man 's problem is that his tongue trips over his turban. Maybe he should use a forum in his language and in his country.

Lot of xenophobes around here. When I signed in it doesn't specifies that the forum it's so exclusive regarding the country you live in. The word "vobuloscope" came from French but when I translated it exists in English also, and it's another word for wobbulator.
Anyway guys you have a long way till understand the word "help".

Last edited:
zevon8 said:
oh, come on Nigel, you've never used a Wobulator?

He didn't say 'wobbulator', although I presumed that's what he meant? (he's since editted his post). However, if people CORRECTLY enter their location we can then have some chance of knowing if their first language is English or not - entering a stupid location is worse than useless! - but presumably he's a young kid?.

audioguru said:
I think the non-English speaking man 's problem is that his tongue trips over his turban. Maybe he should use a forum in his language and in his country.
Excellent point!

craciun said:
Lot of xenophobes around here.

I wonder if you are directing that comment at me? Pretty broad brush you are using, perhaps you should narrow it down, or atleast focus your comments. Not exactly endearing to the rest of the participants of this thread. Or any member reading this thread.

When I signed in it doesn't specifies that the forum it's so exclusive regarding the country you live in.

Perhaps you forget that this forum is viewed world wide, by various nationalities, natively speaking various languages. Last time I checked, the first "W" in WWW stood for world wide web. A relevant geographical location should be given by all members. Country is fine. It is tremendously valuable in not only giving a useful answer, such as where to buy parts, but gives most people a basis for the posters English language skills. Flipant descriptions such as "on earth" are not only a waste of typing time, but are just plain ridiculous. Unless extra-terrestrials are signing-up at this forum, I'd say it was damn obvious you are on Earth. Please.

Anyway guys you have a long way till understand the word "help".

Guess what, I participate on this board for the enjoyment of helping others, and to learn as well. My free time, my choice, my volunteered effort. I try to be as helpful as many other members are, giving of knowledge and experience. Until you decide to focus your earlier remark about xenophobes, I have to believe you are including all posters up to that point in your labelling.

This I find offensive.

Make broad generalizations all you want, just be prepared to be called on them.

Just my 2 cents.

Chill out @zevon8, I was reffering at @audioguru and @Hitech, because prior to post here I checked many other posts on the rest of the threads, and their's atitude on other people is xenophobic.

Last edited:
Who me?
I don't think that different people (language, customs, appearance and food) should come to this site and ask questions is such poor English that they cannot be understood. If these people are helped then frequently they can't get parts in their own world.

When I want to travel and see the world, I do and go where I want.
When I want to discuss electronic circuits in English, I come here.

@audioguru let say that you are in a foreign country and you have to discuss in English with an engineer about an electronic circuit (suppose it's your project and want to implement it there).
You'll want to solve the circuit even the foreign engineer doesn't speak English fluent, and try to "understand him" on what he want to say about the circuit , or you'll make fun on his way of speaking English ?
By the way I speak 2 foreign languages and understand another 2 but I don't have the time to spell check on everything.
To help it's a benevolent action and implies to respect and consider other people not to look if he has "expensive shoes".

Last edited:
People come to this site from their home country. We, our language and our customs are foreign to them. They should go to a website that speaks their home language. The website would probably be in their own country and people there know what is available and where to buy things.

If they want to learn English then they can, but not here.

Never mind the "expensive shoes". Some countries and many people in them are so poor that they don't have shoes (and they don't have common ICs either).

Me xenophobic? Oh how contrare! My intolerance extends only to the point that we are viewed as fools that will naievly do someone else's homework assignment for them. I merely poke innocent fun at times on how some posters try to get their message across. Half of the time they post some diagram that's already well known on the internet and then want us to further improve or explain it beyond the author's efforts.

If you really want to get your undies tied into a wad, then you should drink 3 cups of strong coffee and read this thread: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/i-have-found-fm-transmitter-circuit-1-6-km.23112/

Last edited:
audioguru said:
People come to this site from their home country. We, our language and our customs are foreign to them. They should go to a website that speaks their home language. The website would probably be in their own country and people there know what is available and where to buy things.

If they want to learn English then they can, but not here.

Never mind the "expensive shoes". Some countries and many people in them are so poor that they don't have shoes (and they don't have common ICs either).

The problem is that I doubt there are any popular Electronics forums in their own languages. Personally I don't have a problem with people from other countries posting questions here, provided that I know they're not from an English-speaking country so I can make allowances for their bad English. Infact, you could take it as a compliment that people from all over the world go to quite some trouble to post on our english biased forums to ask for technical advice, rather than taking the easy option and posting on their own forums. Obviously they hold more value in our advice!!!

Give them a break.

Brian

Hello everyone
LMAO Wow yet another post revived by craciun. This one from 2004. Good job. You drug half the forum members in on this one.

ThermalRunaway said:
The problem is that I doubt there are any popular Electronics forums in their own languages. Personally I don't have a problem with people from other countries posting questions here, provided that I know they're not from an English-speaking country so I can make allowances for their bad English. Infact, you could take it as a compliment that people from all over the world go to quite some trouble to post on our english biased forums to ask for technical advice, rather than taking the easy option and posting on their own forums. Obviously they hold more value in our advice!!!
Give them a break.Brian
I agree only with your first two sentences. The situation that often occurs is a newbie with a 1-3 post history, uses a strange, confusing forum name, doesn't supply his location, and then typically posts a question involving us doing his homework assignment for him or wants help building some sort of anarchy device. It's very clear and obvious to us when newbie asks a genuine question, seems to have some basic knowledge to back it up and discuss it further, and shows evidence of doing some research on his own. Given that, I believe a good many of us would easily overlook his poor grasp of English.

Oh, and hats off to craciun for dredging up a 2yr. old thread!! I used to have a neighbor named Craciun and he was a real lulu... he'd get to blabbing about something and I'd be left standing there wishing the world would come to an end!

Last edited:
HiTech said:
I agree only with your first two sentences. The situation that often occurs is a newbie with a 1-3 post history, uses a strange, confusing forum name, doesn't supply his location, and then typically posts a question involving us doing his homework assignment for him or wants help building some sort of anarchy device. It's very clear and obvious to us when newbie asks a genuine question, seems to have some basic knowledge to back it up and discuss it further, and shows evidence of doing some research on his own. Given that, I believe a good many of us would easily overlook his poor grasp of English.

Well, we're on the same wavelength there Hitech because I agree with everything you've mentioned!
I did make sure to point out that I didn't mind people asking advice on here who don't speak English as their first language as long as they fill in their location so that we know to make allowances for the bad English. Otherwise how do we know that they don't fall into the lazy or stupid category? Or both?
Also, I did say that I had no problems giving advice. In other words, don't ask me to do your entire project for you but if you ask an intelligent question I will (if I feel I can), give you an intelligent answer.

So yeah basically I agree with you.

Brian

This thread is 2 years old?!
I wonder if the non-English speaking turban-wearer learned English or electronics yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back