Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cable Retractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacterozoid

Does anyone know of any cheap cable retractors? I'm looking to wind up a couple feet of something like 22AWG wire onto one. It should be capable of winding itself up (with a spring or other mechanism) and locking once extracted.

The smaller the better, too. I'm aware that they do make retractable cables, and see this one here looks like a good option.

Ultra 50-Inch Retractable RJ-11 Modem Cable, 2-Pack at TigerDirect.com

However, what I need is to only extract one end. One end should be stationary and connected to another portion of my circuit, then the other end should pull out, like this:

**broken link removed**

I took one like the example from Tiger Direct and pulled it apart - there's a tight metal coil in it with a ball bearing to lock it open. I think it will work, but the movement of the fixed side of the cable has to be limited to none and I'm not quite sure how to do that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

That's the idea, yeah..but I need 6 of them so I can't justify spending that much. I'm open to modifying something else if it's possible to do.

That's the idea, yeah..but I need 6 of them so I can't justify spending that much. I'm open to modifying something else if it's possible to do.

There were listings for around $10 on this item when I was searching for you.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
Thanks, duffy. I think I probably am far to opposed to spending much of any money that I wouldn't really be happy with much of anything at this point, so let me go a different route:

Given these standard cable retractors from Tiger Direct, is there a way I can modify them to have one end fixed?

Would it be possible to drill a hole through the center of the thing and feed a cable through that? I'm not sure and not that mechanically inclined, so I appreciate any help.

Thanks, duffy. I think I probably am far to opposed to spending much of any money that I wouldn't really be happy with much of anything at this point, so let me go a different route:

Given these standard cable retractors from Tiger Direct, is there a way I can modify them to have one end fixed?

Would it be possible to drill a hole through the center of the thing and feed a cable through that? I'm not sure and not that mechanically inclined, so I appreciate any help.

If you want a couple of feet. This might be the ticket also there is a screw to play with.

**broken link removed**

Good luck !

kv

Those standard cable retractors lack a slipring assembly, it is just one continuous cable. Half is wrapped clockwise and half counterclockwise around a spring loaded reel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back