Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
How cable modem works. how it communicate with another thousands of connections.

Could any one provide some articles or web pages for it.

Many thanks
l

technically it doesn't communicate with thousands of connections, just one. your cable modem connects you to your internet service provider (ISP), using cable frequencies over your normal coax lines for communication, setting up a connection with the ISP. then they basically act as a gateway to the internet.

all your modem does is connect and communicate with your ISP. different modems work in different ways (cable, DSL, standard dial-up) but once they're connected and transmitting data they all do essentially the same thing. all the communication with different hosts on the internet is done by your computer, which sends data over the modem connection to the ISP to tell them what information it wants, and from what host/website/etc. the modem is little more than a dumb box that takes the messages your computer sends and forwards them to your ISP in the right format.

for more detailed information on how things work after that, you should try searching google for "how the internet works" or something like that. don't limit it to cable modems only, as I said they are only a small part of the picture.

yep what is important is yr IP address. Your cable box will have a a unique ID they yr server provider knows. When you send out an internet request it has yr IP tagged to the front.

when the data is returned it goes to yr ISP it then ties the IP that is in the returned data to yr models unique ID and sends that box the data

modem

I am conserning the server not the individual modem.
I think I have not given clear idea what I want.

How cable modems(cable TV or internet) are being served by the provider.

What is the technical theory behind it or how the server works.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back