Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cable choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKid

Hi folks, I need a recommendation on what type of cable to use. It is for driving several transducer sensors 3-4' from their respective driving circuitry at 40KHz. I only need two leads per transducer. I was thinking shielded twisted pair but most types I have seen are for data com apps not power apps. They need to be low EMI as they will be passing near the digital receiver and passing over each other. Voltages may be a few hundred, low amperage.

I have omitted the schematic here because its just two cables from a box going to two sensors sensors.

Thx in advance - GK

shielded wires will do fine but now you have 3 conductors so tie the shield at the source to ground an leave open shield at the other end. the again 4' is not long

I was wondering what to do with that third wire!

What type of cable would you (anyone) suggest to carry that voltage?

GoKid said:
I was wondering what to do with that third wire!

What type of cable would you (anyone) suggest to carry that voltage?

An insulated one! :D

Sorry! - couldn't resist!.

Make sure the wire you use is rated for the voltage you use, preferably considerably higher (if you can find any?) as the wire probably isn't specced for ultrasonics.

Most wire will carry a surprising amount of current. There are tables in which you can find the current carrying capacity of various guages of copper wire. The one in the Radio Amateurs Handbook says that 22ga. solid wire can handle 0.914 amps. This number is based on allowing 700 Circular Mills per ampere to limit the temperature rise. Most data communication cables are 22ga. stranded, but they should be able to handle a similar current, and voltages up to 300VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back