Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

I'm almost through with my computer interface program (essentially a program to read fuel level of a tank and display it in litres on the computer screen), and the code doing all the hardware work is working just fine.

Now, i want to create a nice "window display" to display the fuel level, and to create a "form" where I'll input parameters for my program, like tank capacity etc. I don't want to display to the console!

I've seen some examples (that came with the compiler) on how to create windows, but they don't seem to do what I want, or I'm having a hard time understanding them. I'm using dev-c++ by the way.

I'll be glad if you lead me to some material on menu/window/form creation in dev-c++. Thanks!

I use Borland C++ Builder for that since I am lazy. CLick and place! woohoo!

I use Microsoft Visual Studio for C++ ...

There are different possible solutions for your problem.

1.) "Create" the application using a wizard, and fill in the missing functions
2.) Write a Win32 Framework and place the buttons "by hand".
3.) Write a Win32 Framework and use an external GUI API like Qt
4.) Write a simple Win32 CLI framework ( usually just void main() {} ) and use an OS independent framework API for graphical applications like GlUT, Qt, SDL, etc.
5.) Write everything on your own, Win32 framework, GUI, graphical interface, sound interface, HDI interface, etc.

dknguyen said:
I use Borland C++ Builder for that since I am lazy. CLick and place! woohoo!

Are you suggesting that I switched compilers? Can't anything be done with the dev-c++?

Last edited:
not compilers! IDE!
I suggest you to download Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition for C++, plus the Microsoft C++ compiler...

This is the best thing ever.

I have both Visual C++ and Botland C++ Builder and I found Borland was much better and easier for laying out windows and messing around with properties. Click and place your button, field, or whatever and there is a window sidebar that lists all the properties and their values for that object (eve for the main window). Double click on the object (like a button) and you it generates a code block for that item in the code and youcan code additional actions and other things that the object will do.

Last edited:
Apparently it's quite common to use Borland Delphi for the screen layout and design, and C++ Builder for the actual programming (assuming the programmer isn't experienced in writing in Delphi/Pascal).

I first was introduced to Borland's GUI layout through Delphi in my Pascal class and after the class was done I got Borland C++ builder to do that because of it's awesomeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back