Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C-compiler for PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksor

I'm going to choose a C-compiler for my hobby-projects with MPLAB 8.43

I have been programming Fortran, turbo Pascal, VB, VBA, C# for 20-30 years.

CCS - where can I download it ?
HI-TECH C - I have downloaded it from Michrpchip
http://www.sourceboost.com/CommonDownload.html

What shall I choose for my MPLAB IDE ?

Last edited:
C# used to be called Java when I started programming! lol.

CCS is a good program, use it in work, never give me problems, in fact, I find it easier than C18.
Hi Tech C is pretty much the same as Microchip's own compiler, I believe the code is portable between the two.
Source Boost has had good reviews also.

99% Of the Microchip Libraries are available for CCS in some ported form or other.

For a free solution I would go with Microchip's own compilers / Hi Tech Demo compilers, I believe there is just an optimisation limit for MChips, not sure about Hi Tech, might be a 2K limit.

CCS C is expensive software, they might have a demo version on their website.

Wilksey

HI-TECH C - I have downloaded it from Michrpchip

What shall I choose for my MPLAB IDE ?

Since you have already downloaded the HiTech versions, I would continue with them. They are basically the same as Mikro, etc., as far as I can tell. HiTech for the 10, 12 and 16 families will do most of the hobby work, but if you go on to 18's the Pro version handles that. The only limitation is that of optimization, which I have had no problem with so far.

Water is free. Bottled water is usually just regular water with a price tag. Same with compilers.

AFAIK HTSoft's compiler is only a limited-term demo. Then it stops working entirely and you're kinda screwed.

Microchip's MCC18 (and MCC for 24/30/33) is free except that some of the optimizations turn off after the trial period, which isn't a big problem generally. This is the one to use unless you're gonna dump a wad of cash on software.

Last edited:
MPLAB included HI-TECH C PRO for PIC10/12/16 MCU Families and CCS PCB C Compiler already.

and HI-TECH C have lite version (Optimizes Code Limited)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back