Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bypass the battery in a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prismseed

I want a mobile computer but a battery isn't a concern. I have an old laptop that the battery is dead in. I can use it connected to a charger but after the flaming battery scare is that safe?

My first response is no.

But, I'll be honest. I don't fully understand your situation or need.

Thanks, KISS.

Interestingly, your answer lit a bulb in my head. I thought that was the question being asked. Just had a brain lock. Some times the simplest things ... :banghead:.

Laptop will work without the battery usually.
I note the word "usually". Are you aware of makes/models which won't? I ask because I've queried this in the past, being concerned that the mains adapter voltage is higher than the battery voltage and the lappy's internal voltage regulation might rely on the battery for stabilisation.

i used "usually" because somebody will come up with an exception. I just queried it and got this https://classroom.synonym.com/can-laptop-computer-work-just-off-ac-adapter-14676.html

I just made a Google query and got:

https://www.quora.com/Does-removing...in-all-the-time-damage-your-laptop-in-any-way

and

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiF_qzqhcrLAhUFwiYKHWaPDsMQFggjMAA&url=https://classroom.synonym.com/can-laptop-computer-work-just-off-ac-adapter-14676.html&usg=AFQjCNGG5nvatwnpRQWzON2Q-y47tWsPaQ&sig2=ICIAfQ4AgKqUXnLQ5VOLBA

Battery calibration (gas gauge) is a pain.

I do agree that you run the risk of data loss with the stupid coax connectors.

I just had to replace a motherboard because of a "bad tip" of all things. It does not make a lot of sense, but it makes the "only sense".

I use three adapters: 1) the OEM, 2) A generic and 3) A universal where the tip defines the current and voltage limit programmable with resistors in the tip.

I didn't connect the dots earlier, but when I plugged in adapter 3 the laptop would act like there was power issues. It finally broke. After a month the new laptop would blank the screen when the adapter was inserted, Wiggling the tip did nothing. Measuring the voltage of the unconnected adapter and wiggling the cord did nothing. the tip basically felt "a little loose" and only has two small strips to make the center connection.

A "bad battery" may have compromised that center connection. A new tip (a spare) and the problem went away.

The service center did not want my battery.

I also agree that some of the service procedures say to run the laptop without a battery. I had the opportunity to look at the removed motherboard and there was no visible damage.

The charger appears to be regulated (usually in steps of 0.5V) and current limited.

The OEM adapter has one thing going for it. The tip has better mechanical support when inserted into the laptop.

A cell phone won;t operate without a good battery. The adapter won't support running the phone by itself. At least that's been my experience with 3 phones.

I note the word "usually". Are you aware of makes/models which won't? I ask because I've queried this in the past, being concerned that the mains adapter voltage is higher than the battery voltage and the lappy's internal voltage regulation might rely on the battery for stabilisation.

I've seen numerous laptops in the past that won't work without a working battery in place, although 'hopefully' modern ones might be OK?.

Thanks, guys. That confirms that modern machines should be ok to run without a battery. I'm currently running my laptop in 'conservation mode', which keeps the battery at ~60% charge to prolong its life, so my query was academic. I didn't have that mode on my previous laptop, which is why I queried the battery situation before.

Just unplug (remove) the laptops battery. I have been using a laptop for years now without its battery as a replacement was too expensive.
I run it direct of the adaptor with no drama's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back