Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buy $15 in parts, get $15 worth of boxes, bags, and foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinofx

I placed a $16 order (ok, $26 counting a $10 breadboard). I couldn't believe the amount of package and the time it took to individually wrap each component. I don't think they made much money on my order :)

Attachments

• packaging.jpg
    packaging.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 568
LOL, I find Newark is one of the worst for this. My theory is they like to use the customer to rid themselves of garbage. I have ordered a couple of micro switches and received them in a foam lined processor box, inside a box stuffed with antistatic bubble bags. They get bulk shipping rates, so a slightly larger box/rate probably costs less than disposal fees.

Some may call it recycling, I call it making their garbage somebody elses problem. DigiKey is not as bad, they just use whatever the stuff came in, along with regular packing material.

A guy on E-Bay is selling ipod empty boxes for a high price. People buy Chinese fake products to put in the boxes and sell them at real prices.

audioguru said:
A guy on E-Bay is selling ipod empty boxes for a high price. People buy Chinese fake products to put in the boxes and sell them at real prices.
selling empty boxes? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OMG!

This is another reason why I don't buy online.

At my suplyer i get the stuff sotred out in snap top bags that are stufed in one box.Thos free snap top bags can be useful :D

I like digi-keys recycled paper packing - it is like paper that's been sliced and expanded somehow... although they use a lot of it, it does squish down good when its time to toss out... and if I ever get my compostor setup, it'll make good brown material to toss in.

i agree the amount of time spent on packaging and handling by Newark can't be covered in their realitively fair s&h charge. They must 'make it up' from large order purchases.

The problem with alot of electronic packaging ( most consumer packaging for that matter ) is that it is often mixed materials. The carboard boxes are fine, but the foam, laminated plastic, etc "contaminates" the material and makes it expensive to get rid of in volume. Essentially it goes to landfill. We try to re-use as much as possible at work, shipping small parts, storing parts, etc. Hammond uses these really great heavy-duty ziplock bags that are unbelievably strong. Electrosonic also seems to ship everything in ziplock bags, I have enough at work to start a business.

I too like the DigiKey stuff, reuse all of it in the shipping department! My favorite thing about DigiKey is how they print their labels, all the info you need including manufactureres part numbers, quantity, PO#, etc, and they always print an extra for you to put on your bins so it easy to order/track your parts ( from them of course, the are not dumb, LOL )

justDIY said:
I like digi-keys recycled paper packing - it is like paper that's been sliced and expanded somehow...

I love that stuff....

*can see that one designer on the show "trading spaces" (or "changing rooms" in the UK) plastering it all over the wall like the feathers* (I saw the commercial and was apalled...feathers on the wall?!?!?! glued there!?!?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back