Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Butchered TV Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
Faults on this particular set and never seen before in literally a hundred or more or these successfully repaired chassis:

1. Necked (down to air tube). A first for me on this Sansui SV2918 chassis. These chassis generally use genuine Thompson CRT’s. This chassis is kind to tubes.

This tube has had something happen to it. I want to know why. Only forensic investigation can reveal the truth. (I want to know why and how it got down to air).

It is now in a protected and safe area of our Workshop.

2. Wrong spares used. The SV2918 chassis uses a TDA8172 Vertical Deflection I.C.
This set had a CD 78040 I.C in place of the original. Not tightened to it’s
heatsink. Smacks of a bushie job. Heatsinks make no sense to Bush Mechanics…

3. The East/West is faulty too…Normally the ONLY Pincushion correction that goes wrong with these sets is the Bipolar Cap @ 4.7MF on the East/West…..

This set has more E/W problems than ever seen here before…There are diodes
that have burnt out, caps that have exploded on the E/W stage.

4. Sorted all above out…and Moderator/s please excuse me swearing…this has
really got to me…the SOUND is [MODNOTE]deleted swearing[/MODNOTE] too….what more has the fool that tried to fix this thing do…And no, not a power surge. Power supply is spot on and working properly. No lightning either if any of you are thinking it…..what was the idiot thinking that tried to repair this???

Sorry for the rant…

Outa here,
tvtech

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. Fix it and collect your fee. While it's fun to speculate about what a bad technician was or wasn't thinking, it's ultimately unproductive as you'd have to become as crazy as them to think the way they do.

Last edited:
I don't know. Fix it and collect your fee. While it's fun to speculate about what a bad technician was or wasn't thinking, it's ultimately unproductive as you'd have to become as crazy as them to think the way they do.

Under normal circumstances...yes. Thing is, this set came from a "proper" TV repair shop down the road from me. A real business that customers trust to do proper repairs at a reasonable price. They stuff the thing up and then send it to me.......

This is the second time they have tried this with me. And this is the last time I am prepared to be involved in this nonsense.

Our company takes pride in our work. We know what we are doing and what we repair we repair properly. Satisfied customers mean everything to us.
Hence, customers that become friends and frequent the shop not only when TV's break...but also to purchase new Audio or other equipment.

They trust us because we are ethical.

So...this is going to head towards a Court case. The butchered set is working properly now and evidence is safe in our workshop. I will leave it on test for a Week and see if anything else fails in that time. Anything is possible seeing what the set has been through :rolleyes:

Sad part about this is the consumer is the one that takes the biggest knock. Beautiful 74CM almost lost forever and the customer must fork out the money to buy a new TV because an idiot messed up the TV.

For the record: finally got back to the ORIGINAL fault as I THINK reported by the customer....

"TV has a picture but the people look funny. They look small and cramped in the middle of the screen. There is a bright line there sometimes And sometimes the picture has dark lines across it..."

On a Sansui SV2918 chassis this is caused by:

C305 0.22MF 63V on vertical scan coils track. It goes low or open and causes said problems depending on how low it's capacitance has fallen...
Some sets barely show a picture with lots of dark horizontal black ever moving lines...

Discovered this around Two years back......I believe that this was the ORIGINAL fault with this TV that was almost wasted by a chancer..

Cheers guys,
tvtech

Last edited:
Are you saying that the unqualified, unethical shop is trying to use your service to cover up their errors and as a potential scapegoat?! That IS messed up.

Last edited:
Are you saying that the unqualified, unethical shop is trying to use your service to cover up their errors and as a potential scapegoat?! That IS messed up.

That about sums it up. It gets worse but I won't go into details here suffice to say the sh!t is going to hit the proverbial fan. I am over crooks and chancers.

Hey, afterall, I am a consumer too.

I know nothing about car repairs for example. If I crash my car I want to deal with honest, ethical people. Who know how to fix cars. Properly. Not idiots that promise the world and deliver nothing.

Same as a person who want's their TV repaired. They probably know nothing about how or why it broke. They just want honesty and integrity from the repair shop they have chosen.

Both examples above would be customers that "don't want things done cheaply..just properly"

And hard earned money willingly paid for a repair well executed. Not some botched mess :mad:

Till another time
tvtech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back