Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Business band radio laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I was arguing with a coworker today about the use of common business band radio use. Basically he said that the radios we use at work are on licensed frequencies and its a federal offense to own any other common business band radio that can be programed to run on the same business band VHF RX/TX frequencies (standard 146 - 174 MHZ FM VHF business band).

He claims that to set up any common business band radio to use the same channels as we do at work requires a FCC permit and license. I say it does not being that anyone can buy the same radio units plus programing cables and the full OEM programing software online with out question.

I found all of our radio units plus related programing cables and the full OEM dealer programing software packages for all of them on eBay surprisingly cheap which to me says anyone can buy, program, and use any of our business band channels without license and what not if they so chose to.

Who's right? Are our work channels FCC secured by license to us and only us or being standard off the shelf VHF business radio anyone who has a business band radio and programing capacity can also listen and if needed talk on our channels legally such as if they own a compatible VHF business band radio system similar to how the the old CBs were which was basically public access systems if you simply had the gear?

Last edited:
It could be either in your case. Look it up on the FCC website under MURS (multiple use radio service).

TCM you are both half correct.

Anyone can buy and program the radio to whatever frequency.

However, generally speaking frequencies are allocated to specific users by the FCC (in the USA), and for the privelidge of having a "protected" frequency the user will pay a licence fee.

I am sure that your railroad operations would not appreciate some other user setting up shop on one of your frequencies.
If they did a quick word with the FCC should be able to get them sorted out.

One thing that you may find is that a frequency is allocated to one user in one area, and re-allocated to another user in a different area say 100miles away, so that the users are outside each others normal radio coverage areas, except of course when atmospheric conditions give extended radio propagation and then both users blame the other for pirating their frequency.

JimB

....so that the users are outside each others normal radio coverage areas, except of course when atmospheric conditions give extended radio propagation and then both users blame the other for pirating their frequency.

Ah brings back memories of the bad old days when some local radio pirates :rolleyes: learned how to cross link two McDonald's drive thru in two neighbouring suburbs. The chaos was amusing for about 5 minutes :)
The local Macca's used 154MHz for their head sets. These days they have moved up to 2.4GHz.

It all depends. If you tried this in NY, you would probably find yourself in trouble. If the system is used inside a building, you probably won't get caught. Business band is finally going to 2.5 Khz deviation, you may have purchased older 5 KHz equipment. This can get you in trouble.
You have to watch that band. There are a number of Taxi freqs in there, they will complain. The marine band is there, though I doubt anyone will complain in ND. And as someone mentioned railroad are also in there and they too will complain.
Licensing is big business, when the FCC started selling freqs in the '90's it started a cottage industry for frequency coordinators. If they get wind of your operation, they too will report you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back