Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building the tiniest of heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to figure out how to heat a small amount of water up 200 F, using a battery.
Once it reached 200, it would need to shut down. Smallest configuration possible of course. Any off-the-shelf items
i can use would be best

How small is small?
You could perhaps use a smd transistor both for control and as a heat source.

E Cigarette heating element might work. I want to push water at 130+psi over the element to create 200 degree F water.
I would like the element and power to be no bigger than 1 1/2" cubed.

Have you done any calculations. 1.5" cubed is approximately 55 mL. Raising that temperature from roughly room temperature to 93°C will require in excess of 3,850 calories (small). Now, if the water is flowing, we need to ask at what rate?

In any case, it will take a fair amount of power. What size battery were you intending to use?

John

E Cigarette heating element might work. I want to push water at 130+psi over the element to create 200 degree F water.
I would like the element and power to be no bigger than 1 1/2" cubed.

This isn't quite that simple. The line pressure isn't a major concern but the flow rate is. Heating water using a heating element isn't complicated but when you want instant hot then the volume of water and flow rate become key players. Forget the E Cigarette thing. Making heat with electricity takes quite a bit of power. Start with a Google of Instant Hot Water Heater and you will see descriptions like this:

Product Description
Ideal for Point-of-Use Applications Continuous Hot Water on Demand Energy Efficient Compact Design - Fits Almost Anywhere On-Unit Temperature Control LEDs Indicate Active Element and Standby Mode Standard 1/2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Water Connection Rugged Brass/Copper Heat Exchanger Applications Homes Apartments Condos Hospitals Hotels Boats Restaurants Offices Laboratories ...anywhere hot water is needed! Model: RTE 9 Length: 10 Width: 7-1/4 Weight: 8 ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS KW: 9 VOLTS: 240 REQ.Breaker: 40 MAX POWER(AMP): 38 AWG WIRE: 8 Minimum Activation Flow rate(GPM): 0.4 Maximum Flow Rate(GPM): 3

Take a good look at the required power. Even for a small amount of water you would need a really big battery. So we get back to how much water is a small amount and what is the flow rate of the water and the water pipe diameter?

<EDIT> John beat me. :) </EDIT>

Ron

Flow rate should be about 6ml / sec using no more than 36ml of water.
From 73F to 200F is a change of around 70K. At 6mL/sec, the power required is 4.18*70*6 = 1756W. You will have trouble doing this with a small battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back