Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building laser from dvd burner diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered about that too.

My latest CD/DVD burner runs at around 32X write mode if I remember correctly. If I burn a full disk it will actually come out rather warm when it ejects! :D

That sort of makes me wonder how powerful the new burning lasers are in some of the faster drives now.:eek:

This is just my preference, but personally if it's a disc I want to last I won't burn it at higher than 4X speed. At those higher speeds simply bumping the machine can make a disc that'll have bad sectors. Not that bumping the machine at lower speeds is any better.

I just put the disk in and press copy. :eek:
What ever happens after that I dont know.

But man do they sound like they are flying at times! :D

I guess all CD and DVD burners have a flaw.

I experierenced sound like a gun shot one day with the system halted. I couldn't restart it for a simple reason.

The DVD reader/writer had a defect stopping the CD drive motor. Fragments of an exploded DVD were the reason why the device tried to read the DVD stopping the Windows load sequence.

I opened the tray using a thin pin and removed the leftovers of the DVD looking like shrapnels.

The device was exchanged for a new free one, but the DVD was lost.

I also know that higher speed (reading and writing) requires more laser power, but I've never seen a CD (DVD) reader/writer without laser diode.

This is what was stated here.

Boncuk

No, he said 'burning laser diode'
His language was horrible, but his meaning was clear (at least to me) he meant specifically a laser of sufficient power to burn things with.

Last edited:
No, he said 'burning laser diode'
His language was horrible, but his meaning was clear (at least to me) he meant specifically a laser of sufficient power to burn things with.

Hi Sceadwian,

one should think that a poster calling others idiots uses clear technical terms to explain anything concerned with technics. He missed that point.

Saying a CD/DVD burner has no burning laser diode is certainly most likely misunderstood. Of course even a slow CD-writer does have a burning laser diode - no matter if it is weak or not.

Using even a laser diode of an outdated CD-writer you're able to burn holes into a sheet of paper using an appropriate collimator lens.

What he described is the focussing apparatus which is used in every CD/DVD-writer.

BTW, I also found out that most DVD-writers don't have a monitor diode. That might explain the fact that 100 operating hours of burning is the maximum to achieve with one device.

Boncuk

Last edited:
This is just my preference, but personally if it's a disc I want to last I won't burn it at higher than 4X speed.
Rewritable discs are notorious for short lifespans. I would think that if you need the disc to last for years, go for a 1-time write disc and slow burn speed.

Only if they're not stored properly HiTech, a burned disk should last 5 years or more.

Last edited:
RW discs do not burn the deep pits as single write discs do. 5 year lifespan for a disc is piss poor IMHO. A quality mfgrs of blank 1-time write discs should last tens of years when stored properly. Hech, broadcast grade videotape will last 15 years minimum, 20-25yrs. typically.

No pits are burned =P
Burners use a dye layer that changes states when it's heated or the right color laser beam is applied. Write once disks are more resilient because they're only designed to change states once, RW's are designed to switch back and forth. They're both vulnerable to the same ambient light and thermal considerations. RW's thermal boundries might be narrower, but there should be no overwhelming difference if stored properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back