Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building an inverter for power storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

yinobi

i have been ponmdering the above subject for a while wondering if there could be a way to modify the power inverters while minimising the cost of production for optimal powerr storage.
please excuse my seemingly unprofessional question.

yinobi said:
i have been ponmdering the above subject for a while wondering if there could be a way to modify the power inverters while minimising the cost of production for optimal powerr storage.
please excuse my seemingly unprofessional question.

I assume you are thinking about power inverter stages. Keep this in mind, the inverter designs are _converters_ and this of course means they do not _store_ energy, they just convert it (DC -> AC) (ideally)

So how can one get an inverter to store power (energy) well, add a large battery as the supply to the inverter. This is of course the same thing as a UPS of sorts and you can buy these off the shelf.

So are you pondering the design of a UPS and how to make one cheaper?
Or, have I not understood your statements fully?

Power inverters are always fairly complicated, particularly if you want good efficiency and/or high power. That's normally quite expensive. Fortunately, so many people have been mass-producing complicated inverters that the cost is quite reasonable, considering the contents.

They all involve high frequency transformers unless you have 120V DC of battery power available to switch back and forth. High freq transformer design is one of the most complicated aspects of electrical engineering unless you only want a crude (low power, low efficiency for the cost, weight, & size) result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back