Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building a strong solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to 'build' my own solenoid to control a drawer in my woodworking project. it is a walnut box with hidden drawers that contain homemade neodymium magnetic locks. one or more of the drawers i would like a homemade solenoid to control the drawer opening and closing. i have a 4 channel 12volt DC remote control system, and one of the channels i would like to operate the solenoid with. now the drawer will be small, and i plan on building it with some type of slide or bearing (so it slides easy), and the drawer probably won't eject from the box no more than 5 or 6 inches.

i already have thin magnetic wire (i can't remember...there are 3 sizes), and have build a small solenoid before using a plastic pen tube and a nail for the core. my question is, what is the best material i should be using for the tube (where the wire coils around), including the thickness of the tube, and diameter of the tube. i also need to know the cheapest type of core that i should be using. im assuming the core is going to be pretty light so it travels in and out easily?

i also have another concern about the coil direction. how many wraps do i need....1000? should i wrap only one direction, and work out some type of switch that can change the current direction? or should i wrap both directions, use an on switch to suck the core into the tube, and use a spring to return the core after the current is removed? i'll take any advice or criticism, because im still learning, and still very inexperienced with electricity. thanks for your time!
David Dix

the drawer probably won't eject from the box no more than 5 or 6 inches.

You will find it vary difficult to get a solenoid to move that far, a 1/2 in. maybe. You can unlock the draw and have it spring out and push it back by hand. To get it to move in and out, 5 to 6 inches you will need a motor arrangement of some kind. Andy

i was just told i should just buy one. so now my question is, (im going for low cost) what kind of 12v DC solenoid should i buy? i suppose i will need a 2 way, and probably push type (because the drawer is going to be pushed out of the box). also, should i go with continuous duty?

You will find it vary difficult to get a solenoid to move that far, get a motor. Andy

i can't imagine how to get a rotating motor to move an object in one direction, except maybe if the motor was perpendicular to the direction of the needed movement, and a long arm connected the motor to the object? please explain to me what i could do with the motor. thanks. ...David

thanks for that wikipedia link Andy. do you think i can get a fast snapping type of action with an actuator? that's the type of movement im looking for...like a surprise.

David

Then look here-**broken link removed**

Thare are many sites to help you with Holloween props. Andy

i can't imagine how to get a rotating motor to move an object in one direction, except maybe if the motor was perpendicular to the direction of the needed movement, and a long arm connected the motor to the object? please explain to me what i could do with the motor. thanks. ...David

Did you look at......

Then take a look at garage door openers

Andy

> fast snapping type of action

Use a spring to push the drawer out, and a locking pin/cam/lock to hold it shut. Have the solenoid pull the cam out/unlock the lock.

Not knowing where you live, I don't know if this idea will help. Some high end cars ,Cadillac and others in that class, used a device to open and close the trunk lid. You could find one of these in a wrecking yard and adapt it.

i decided to use an actuator. the car mechanic ive been going to for a while wrote a note to himself. the next time he changes the actuators on a door lock/central lock system, he's going to give me the actuators/solenoids for nothing. that way i won't have to buy anything. yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back