Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Microphone from Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drigo

Hello, I was wondering what do I need to build a microphone from scratch. I know I would need an amp but I have no idea where to find one (maybe an IC? can you recommend one?). I bought some WM-61A microphone cartridge and basically what I want is to read some kind of signal to my BS2 stamp. I want to crate an instrumet tuner so I need a way to read the signal. Any help about the amp ? or should I connected directly to the BS2 stamp?

What signal do I get? Electrical volts? How do I convert this to frequency?
Any reply will be greatly appreaciated. Thank you!

Buy a tuner. It will cost less than building one.
You might want to learn something about electronics before tackling this project.

The microphone will need to be built

I do know electronics but not really familiarize with microphones. I decided to build this for my class project. I realized an amp will help me with it. I will buy the AN7513-ND IC audio amp. Though I still unsure what output will that give me...and how to measure it.

Here is some general microphone info:
**broken link removed**

you will need a two transistor amp or an IC after the mic.
The hard part of your project will be the audio to frequency converter.

You can probably find a new tuner for less than $20.

The Japanese AN7513 is designed to drive a speaker. You don't have a speaker. The amplifier does not have enough gain to be fed from a microphone.

You need a microphone amplifier circuit that is one type of preamp. The output of the preamp can feed directly into your microcontroller.

The signal from a guitar is full of harmonics. Then a filter circuit is needed between the preamp and the microcontroller.

Any recommendations on a preamp IC? What is the output I am getting from the microphone cartridge and teh preamp? Is is a voltage frequency only?

I thought you might be interested in this.. I don't know if this is what you wanted to make but I'm giving it a shot..

**broken link removed**

No offense, but judging by the questions you are asking, you will be unable to design your own PIC based guitar tuner. Googling turned up one design that looked fairly well documented here. There are some links to other tuners at the bottom of the page also.

Last edited:
At least...thank fro the replies. I found this really helpful webstie:

**broken link removed**

I would like to build this tuner which is really similar for what I want. though, 2323 pic is not longer in store. Any other suggestions to replace that IC?

Jasper never learned "Transistors 101". The transistor microphone preamp is designed wrong.
If the transistor has high gain then it is saturated and doesn't work.
If the transistor has low gain then it is cutoff and doesn't work.
If the transistor has medium gain then it might work. Jasper was lucky.

The transistor needs a series emitter resistor that has a capacitor as a bypass and re-biased to work properly.

2323 pic is not longer in store. Any other suggestions to replace that IC?
The AT90S2323 is not a PIC, but an AVR microcontroller. DigiKey shows them in their database but with none currently in stock. Same with Futurelec. As AudioGuru mentioned, the audio preamp needs some redesign which is nothing major to do. I'm not familiar with the AVR line, but maybe someone else knows of a drop in replacement. You'll need a programmer for whatever micro you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back