Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a medium voltage pest control device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark350

Hi all. I am trying to build a shocking coil for a bird feeder and am not very experienced with circuitry. What I have in mind is using some tilt switches and a stun gun type voltage amplifier that would activate a 9 volt battery when a squirrel jumps on the feeder, closing a circuit and feeding voltage (maybe 500 volts for 2 seconds) to a coil that is in the bottom of the feeder tray. I'm assuming it wouldn't be hard to do, I just don't know where to start.. Can anyone help or give me suggestions? Thank you.

How are you going to distinguish from a larger bird and a squirrel?

Do you know that this won't kill the little bugger? (I assume that isn't your intent. personally, I have no love for the furry rodents) Probably need to make the voltage higher so the current will be lower.

Hi Phil. My plan is to use a tilt switch that activates at say maybe a 30 degree angle. This is a huge tube style bird feeder and it takes a squirrel to make it move. I suppose if a crow landed on it, it might shock the crow also, but large birds such as jays, etc. would not be able to make it activate. Neither would wind. My intent is certainly not to kill anything though, I like all wildlife. (I just hate squirrels eating all my birdseed!)

I also meant to originally add that I would gladly pay someone to build this for me if it was a reasonable cost.

Hi, have you looked into all of the squirrel proof feeders that are already available? This one that spins and throws the squirrels off seems to be effective (and fun to watch): **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back