Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Jacob's Ladder from a Computer Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any practical way...NO!
Computer power supplies produce low voltages (ie +/-5vdc and +/-12vdc) where Jacob's Ladders require 5000v or more.

Similar to trying to make a refrigerator out of an oven.;)

Ken

Transformers from neon lights seem to be a popular choice for Jacob's Ladder projects.

I have seen TV flyback transformers used also.

Like Ken said, the computer supply isn't going to be much use for this project.

Please keep in mind high voltage is dangerous. If you are a new comer to electronics, you may want to start with some low voltage projects first.

Jacob's Ladder: Question 2 (WARNING: High res pic)

(I found a suffiencient voltage supply:rolleyes: )

I have this board from a computer monitor, but the suction cup thingy did not create the spark I needed it to when placed next to a ground.
Im told I have to short a switch for it to work, does anybody know where that is or what I have to do, assuming the red and white wires coming from the transformer are open (no longer connected to the board they are in the pic).
I have made no alterations to the board since I removed it.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing, don't try it!

I got shocked by my flyback across the hand today and it HURT BAD. Who know's what will happen when you get shocked?

Im alot better with high voltage than I am with boards and I just need to know if anybody knows which line to short. And how do you figure a high voltage fb isn't suitable for a good ladder?

Last edited:
hattrick2190 said:
Im alot better with high voltage than I am with boards and I just need to know if anybody knows which line to short. And how do you figure a high voltage fb isn't suitable for a good ladder?

What you need to do is to take that flyback off that board and build yourself a driver board:
**broken link removed**

Then, wind your own primary:
**broken link removed**

(Make sure you have 5 and 5 Windings) your flyback would then look like this one:
https://www.cinelabs.com/amp/amp-fb_v2_crop_sm.jpg

(your's should have 5 and 5 windings, remember?)

Then once you have that done, hook up the windings to the Driver.

Turn it on and be careful!

Take the output and run it across all the pins, until you find it arcing to a pin very long and strongly.

There you go!

hattrick2190 said:

I didn't say that, I meant using a complete monitor PCB is a bad idea - the transformer also isn't really very suitable anyway though, as they are really too low a current.

Just use a surplus neon transformer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back