Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Digital Clock using 74HC393 and 7447 and 555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahul G

Hey, I am completely new at building these circuits, and dont know anything at all about ICs. I ended up ordering the wrong parts than what I needed, and have 10 IC 74HC393 and 10 IC 7447 and a couple of other IC's which are gates.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out and make a schematic for me. I really have no clue what is going on, I could only get my IC 555 working.

Thanks alot and really appreciate it

That you ordered parts before having a schematic is a significant statement, and not a good one. At the risk of sounding like Colin, I think you picked a project that is too difficult for a beginner such as yourself. Because the chips are binary counters rather than decade counters, it will take a lot of external gating to decode the carry and reset conditions needed for a clock to count properly. Also, setting the clock will be additional layers of logic gates. If you "really have no clue what is going on", how do you expect to read a schematic?

Separate from that, a 555 oscillator is not accurate enough to be the timebase for a digital clock, even if you have an accurate frequency counter to use to calibrate it.

Your question is very poor; it has no details about what kind of clock, how many digits, why you are doing this, etc. There are hundreds of digital clock schematics, projects, and kits on the innergoogle. I suggest you review a few dozen to get a feel for what it is you want to do.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back