Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building a 8051 programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoandrewson

hello ppl,

i'm a newbie in microcontrollers. i thought i would make a 8051 programmer by myself (only the hardware). before going to the ckt, i would like to know how these processors (or any in general) are actually burned with codes? i am searching the principle behind it.

hello ppl,

i'm a newbie in microcontrollers. i thought i would make a 8051 programmer by myself (only the hardware). before going to the ckt, i would like to know how these processors (or any in general) are actually burned with codes? i am searching the principle behind it.

Hey, why don't you go for 89s51/89s52
It simply don't require programmer. Its an ISP.
It means In System Programmer.

Please let me know if you need any more help

Hi guys..I have a Prgmr board manuf.by Needham Electronics that plugs into a slot (tower) PC it can prgm practically anything that was around the 8085 and 2716..32..64 eprom era including stand alone Micros 8751.The software allows the Prgmr to first offset the address so when uploading to device you can start at the specific location..ie 0000-ffff the strings are in hex.This is a great way to learn machine language.UV light is used to erase the devices on-board Eprom in 15 minutes I've prgmed stand alone devices 8751 series which have I/O & 2k of memory on board, dosen't sound like much but alot can be done when Prgming in machine code with as little as 2k, the 8751 also has a serial interface,UART..a versatile single chip Micro-Controller.The Prgmr board hardware has socketed IC s ( non exotic) and generates all Prgming Volt.on board, a daughter-board ribbon plug-in contains a 40 pin ZIF socket for devices.I have 2 of these great learning tools, and willing to part with 1,like trading for test equip, contact me.

Last edited:
I worked a lot with this controller in the past, D8051w, UV erase. Now these program just like eprom and you will need the data sheet and programming guide.
I had Needham's programmer, lost with the theft of the computer. Replaced with Willem PCB5 that has been problematic with 27C256.
Haven't tried with the 8051 but have the adapter for it. both programmers support this controller.
Building your own you would need to clone some of the schematics which are not that complicated, made to follow the LPT1 connection so precanned software will run it. That or code your own software. Have my eye on another Needham, but won't get it til March. Then a matter of an old computer that will take the ISA card.

What is the purpose of your post?

Parallel port you propose? Back to the future.

What is the purpose of your post?

Parallel port you propose? Back to the future.
Yea, something like that, especially with refurbing those 80s arcade and slot machines. A few Z-80 projects.
My newer stuff I use C8051F320,,tiny,,powerful,,fast. Quite a chip.

Just to clarify, i may be wrong, but, as far as i remember, original 8051 has nothing to program. It was reading from external eeprom or flash. For newer stuff as dallas with internal flash, depends form constructor methods in the datasheet, as stated above, don't think there is a standard/unique way to program them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back