Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a 12v 3amp power supply, parallel 7812s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

I've read online that you can parallel the 7812 regulators to get more amps:
**broken link removed**

With the resistors, do I have to use 4 - 1ohm resistors, or would one large 0.25ohm be alright? Also, is this the best way to get a 3amp power supply or should I be looking at a different design? This one looks easy, and I like that :)

joecool85 said:
**broken link removed**

With the resistors, do I have to use 4 - 1ohm resistors, or would one large 0.25ohm be alright? Also, is this the best way to get a 3amp power supply or should I be looking at a different design? This one looks easy, and I like that :)

You could use one larger 0.25 ohm, generally though the reason for using four smaller resistors is cost, it 'may' be cheaper for four small resistors than one large one?.

This simple design has the advantage that the 7812's are still current limited, you can use a single transistor to give more current from a 7812 (example in the datasheet I seem to remember?), but this stops the current limiting working.

Be aware you will require substantial heatsinking!.

joecool85 said:
**broken link removed**

You can buy 7512T with 3A current limiting (metal package).

Edmond

Keep in mind that 0.25 ohms in series means your output voltage changes by 0.75V from no load to 3 amps load. If your load is nearly costant, this won't be a problem.

Ron H said:
Keep in mind that 0.25 ohms in series means your output voltage changes by 0.75V from no load to 3 amps load. If your load is nearly costant, this won't be a problem.

Not by that much, the 0.25 ohm is per regulator, each of which shares the current - so with five regulators the current through each 0.25 ohm will only be 600mA - so there will only be 0.15V drop.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Ron H said:

Not by that much, the 0.25 ohm is per regulator, each of which shares the current - so with five regulators the current through each 0.25 ohm will only be 600mA - so there will only be 0.15V drop.
Yep - brain fart on my part.

The only use I have for it right now is powering a keyboard I have, but later on I'd like to use it for other things. The reason I want 3amps is because I have a transformer that is 12.6v @3amps and I want to take full advantage of it.

Where can I get the schematic on how to adjust it, and also, is there one that is just set at 12v for 5A?

If you look at the data sheet in the link it'll give you the info. Yes they also have a fixed 12v regulator in several different amp ranges. I personally like to keep a couple of adjustable regulators on hand, so that no matter what voltage I need (within the specs ) I'll have a regulator.
Hope this helps :D

joecool85 said:
The only use I have for it right now is powering a keyboard I have, but later on I'd like to use it for other things. The reason I want 3amps is because I have a transformer that is 12.6v @3amps and I want to take full advantage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back