Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build you own CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick9494

Back in about Feburary 2006 issue of "Elektor", an article pertaining to the 6502 and its history contained a link https://people.freenet.de/dieter.02/m02.htm where this fellow had built a CPU from TTL gates and EPROMS that behaved like a 6502.

What I found even more interesting is he had built another CPU using transistors https://people.freenet.de/dieter.02/mt15.htm.

The schematics themselves for the MT15 are not entirely complete, the missing bits are incorparated in the many pages of explanation about how to design and build a CPU from nothing. I found it very educational and thought some of you may also find it interesting.

N.

Quite an ambitious 'folly' project. It reminds me of when I built an 8bit full adder out of NAND gates for the hell of it... except for some reason the voice in their heads that should of said 'stop now' was mysteriously absent.

Wow, just look at all thouse BC847s!

You have to remember, a micro-processor isn't some 'magical' chip, it's actually built from basic gates and flipflops, using individual transistors etched on the silicon - so micro-processors are similar to these inside, but probably far more complicated. Also remember, someone had to design the micro-processors in the first place!.

I've got a book somewhere, I bought it back in the 60's when I was at school, it's called something like "Build your own computer"?. Essentially it shows you how to build a crude 'computer' using flipflops and gates, allowing simple binary addition etc. As I recall it wasn't a programmable device?, and it was built using all discrete components (it was pre-TTL, or even RTL).

I know this is not electronics, but it could be, someday... If one finds out a material that reacts as this cellular automaton.

Anyway, here's a simply RISC computer implemented using the wireworld's rules. It is amazing to see it running. And, yes, it is programmable.

https://www.quinapalus.com/wi-index.html

I feel tempted to, as soon as I progress in electronics (I have a degree in software engineering, so this is close, but not quite my area, ehehe), implement a wireworld simulator in hardware ;)

Cheers!

Hugo Ferreira

anchal chitlangia said:
i am B.E. student of ECE branch , searching a suitable project for me if u have any idea reply me
Start your own thread please DOn't post your unrelated questions onto someone else's thread. No one will see your question to respond.

...Oh...and do your own homework.

I think in school we used altera's MAX+PLUS II to do simulations instead of building one physicaly. You can't beat it with a hammer when it doesn't work but it's a lot faster ;)

I think you can download a trial version.

anchal chitlangia said:
i am B.E. student of ECE branch , searching a suitable project for me if u have any idea reply me
:cool:

I guess maybe a 1*1,2*2, ,3*3 might by a strong start for you, so just go with 1+1,2+2,3+3.......

So what did you learn in school so far ?
Drop it, get a job as a janitor...:p

csaba911

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back