Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

build/buy DC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdjflores

Need help, looking to build a AC to DC power supply.
input voltage: house current
output voltage: 12 VDC
output current: ~12 amps
any ideas??

thanks,
Dan

You should have no trouble finding a cheap switching supply for that. If you need a linear supply it may cost you. Depending on your needs, it can be cheaper to build vs. buy. For instance, if your needs are simple, then a transformer, diodes, and capacitors might suffice.

purpose

this power supply will be used for powering:
(4) 4 inch 12v computer fans (.35 amps each)
(1) 12v automotive fuel pump (approx. 10 amps)
(3) 12v digital temperature displays (low current)
and a few misc. low current computer lights/LEDS

umm, how 'bout another powersupply inside the computer case?
u can use an old computer psu or get a cheap small factor (like berbone)
psu.
i also needed more power, and i had one laying around, poped it in the case and it works like magic.
though it's a bit noisey...
and u can use it as a redandent psu! :lol:

thought about that...but the +12vdc side of the power supply does not put out enough current....the +5vdc puts out 30amps....but i need 12vdc @ 12amps

Build one that matches your needs, in reference to some other replies on this forum little if any real help, just more problems, I will be a nice guy
**broken link removed**
this a schematic for an Astron 12 amp model, there are some features that you won't need but Astron makes real good power supplies.
BTW I just googled the request you might want to try it someday
https://www.google.com
one other item power supplies are quite simple devices to build and are one of the first projects anybody getting into electronics should try.
have fun

The PC supply can do this, just the voltage feedback must be rewired to 12V output.

No it would not.

Beside voltage feedback, the winding current capacity, the rectifier diode and the smoothing circuit all limit the current to the rated design value.

If the supply label said 12V 5A, then you are lucky to get 7A at 12V out of it.

For the original poster, take a look at this webpage.

**broken link removed**

You can use a transformer with 15V secondary and use only two TIP2955s instead of six to give you 12V 12 Amp output.

these links are helping out alot...i'm looking at a few of them....i just haven't done any of this work in about 10 years or so.

some of these schematics give a complete parts list, going to have to look around town and see where i can get most of the components.

how much more complexity would i add to the poject if i wanted to change to single output powersupply, to a dual output?
1 output 12v 10a
1 output 12v 2a

thanks for all your help,
Dan

how much more complexity would i add to the poject if i wanted to change to single output powersupply, to a dual output?
1 output 12v 10a
1 output 12v 2a

I don't see why you need dual output. Just hook up your 10A device to the 12A supply, and you can still hook up any 2A device to the supply and youll get 2A . . . unless im missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back