Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck converter : L and C values

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce3390

Hello,

I want ot design a buck converter with the following specifications :

Vsupply :70V
Vload : from 65V to 20V
Iload : from 1.8A to 0.2A
Ripple : lower as possible
switching frequency : 1000 kHz

How to get L & C values from these specifications?

I tried to find in some books, but I don't find clearly L= and C= .

The L and C values are determined by Ton and Toff, which is a function of the switcher frequency, in this case the frequency is 1MHz..As BRE has suggested have a look at simple switchers, or look at the 78S40 data sheet...there are worked examples...Although I'm not sure if it will switch that high...TL494 is another...

I found this attached file on the 78S40 datasheet.

If I apply to my application I find :

C = (4x1000ns)/(8x0.1)=5uF

L=((70-5-60)/4)x500ns = 0.6uH

Do you think if I could use it to design my personnal buck converter?

Attachments

• formula.jpg
    formula.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,299
Last edited:
Duty D = Vo_min/Vin_max = 20V/70V = .286
Von = Vin_max - Vout_min = 70V - 20V = 50V
L = (Von x D) / (r x Iout x f) = (50V x .286) / (.4 x 1.8A x 1Mhz) = 19.8uH

Thank you Smanches, 19.8uH for the inductance, where is the mistake in the formula I used?
And what about C value? Maybe C is not necessary (L and the load make a filter?

The formulas from that datasheet make some assumptions about the circuit. They are designed for that chip alone, not a generic buck converter.

Plus, you always have to use the worst case values. In the case of a buck, it's max Vin, and min Vout and max Iload.

I don't have the formula for the cap on me. But I've seen it on the boards here and much more simple than the inductor. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back