Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BT138 Incandescent bulb dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackylcw

Hi, i am recently research on a dimming incandescent bulb using triac BT138. i refer to the circuit connection of microchip:
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/91094A.pdf
i follow their circuit fully except the triac i am using is different. As i read through their circuit connection, they say they input the gate with PWM and i not so sure it works o not. till now, i just using multisim to simulate and i are unable to get my result. i am doubt on its circuit design.

can anyone help me and explain in more detail hows the circuit work or did anyone have any recommended or suggestion on how to control a triac dimmer using bt138. This is my first time using triac, thanks in advance for the help.

Hi, i am recently research on a dimming incandescent bulb using triac BT138. i refer to the circuit connection of microchip:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/06/91094A.pdf
i follow their circuit fully except the triac i am using is different. As i read through their circuit connection, they say they input the gate with PWM and i not so sure it works o not. till now, i just using multisim to simulate and i are unable to get my result. i am doubt on its circuit design.

can anyone help me and explain in more detail hows the circuit work or did anyone have any recommended or suggestion on how to control a triac dimmer using bt138. This is my first time using triac, thanks in advance for the help.

hi,
Using a Diac is an easy light dimmer.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,723
thx ericqibbs... but i hope i can try to control it using PWM. can the diac can be control using PWM?
hi,
The Diac is not suitable for PWM, I thought you wanted some suggestions for other methods.
Look at Nigels tutorial link, near my signature on this post,,, for PWM

thanks for the suggestion and tutorial. i have the PIC PWM knowledge and thats why i hope to apply it into my research. Thus, i looking forward to control the dimmer using PWM. The circuit i i shown above failed to simulate. Thus, did any other way to control my dimmer using PWM or did other circuit other than Triac are able to do so?

I'm not a PIC person, but the app note is more than clear on how this works and it does not mention PWM at all. Once zero crossing is detected, the microcontroller delays a selected amount of time before triggering the triac. The longer the delay, the more the dimming.

For more theory on how microcontroller/triac dimming works with zero crossing detection you can check this link which I think is pretty clear:
Andrew Kilpatrick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back