Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Broken Beam Laser Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiel

Hi,

I found alot of threads on this subject, but none really solid enough to tackle.

Anyway, so I got my hands on a couple of Laser pointers and would like to know what type of receiver you guys would suggest. Perhaps a circuit too. I have no idea at what frequency they work so I don't think a modulated receiver will work.

Will a typical IR receiver pick up the red laser beam? The beam is focus-able and claimed to reach 600m. I need a range of about 40m, easy enough...

Any ideas on building a circuit?

Thanks and merry Xmas!
Martin:D

a regular ir photodiode / transistor will receive a red laser just fine, if you need better noise rejection, you could modulate your laser using a 555 circuit (or microcontroller) and then use a typical IR receiver ic (diode + amp + filter + demodulator in a nice little package)

oh, on the cheap, a red led will work too, either as a photodiode or a photovoltaic ... either way will need an amplifier or a sensitive input

The pointers I got only has two supply leads coming out. I don't know if modulating the supply to it will be a good idea. Can you guys give me typical components to use? I have no idea where to even start selecting components.

I haven'r worked with opto-electronics before.

You should be able to modulate them just fine, though I don't know at what frequency. Only way to find out is to try it. If it turns out to be bad for the lasers then maybe use an LCD shutter instead.

if they're cheap pointers, they'll have the bare minimum of regulation circuitry (usually just a feedback diode and pass transistor) modulation should be as easy as turning the power on and off, modulate at 38-40kHz for the typical IR receivers.

There is a fairly Simple Laser Alarm circuit on my website.

Its not modulated, but it works quite well. I also sell a 2N5777 that will detect the Visable Red Light.

Belated Merry Christmas
cassiel said:
Hi,

I found alot of threads on this subject, but none really solid enough to tackle.

Anyway, so I got my hands on a couple of Laser pointers and would like to know what type of receiver you guys would suggest. Perhaps a circuit too. I have no idea at what frequency they work so I don't think a modulated receiver will work.

Will a typical IR receiver pick up the red laser beam? The beam is focus-able and claimed to reach 600m. I need a range of about 40m, easy enough...

Any ideas on building a circuit?

Thanks and merry Xmas!
Martin:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back